Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

KZ750M resurrection issues 04 May 2024 06:15 #898431

• MUGORS1
  • MUGORS1's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I am trying to begin a project that I purchased 6 years ago.  It’s a 1981 KZ750M CSR.  The previous owner CUT the harness out of it.  I purchased a harness, installed it, and I have gotten it to turn over via the starter switch.  It seems as if I don’t have spark.  I have a factory manual, but I am not at all sure where to start checking.  It turns over good, but it’s not even trying to catch, which is why I do not think I’m getting spark.  I’m sure this has been covered already, but I’m hoping someone who has specific knowledge of my machine may see this and be able to steer me in the right direction.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

KZ750M resurrection issues 04 May 2024 10:38 #898450

• Wookie58
  • Thank you received: 1899
I think if you are looking for a "that will be **#|" kind of answer you will be out of luck. Given you have re-wired it you need to get the wiring diagram up from the manual and start logically working back through the suspect circuits

KZ750M resurrection issues 04 May 2024 10:42 #898453

• TexasKZ
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2091
Welp, my first question is, what makes you think there is no spark?
Non-starting can be the product of an electrical problem, and since you just installed a different harness, a prime suspect.
The problem could also be a lack of fuel. If the bike has been sitting for several weeks or more without being ridden, it is quite likely that the carbs are clogged up with varnish, barnacles, and such.

I recon I would first ensure that each coil is connected to the proper trigger, which is under the ignition cover on the side of the engine. Consult the wiring diagram and relevant bit in the factory service manual to be sure.
Next, I would insure that full battery voltage is reaching each coil. First, measure the voltage at the battery posts, not on the cables or bolts or any other bit attached to the battery posts. Then turn the ignition key to the ON position, and check the power wire to each coil. It will be the same color on both coils. The readings at the coils should be within a couple of tenths of a volt of the reading at the battery posts.
1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

KZ750M resurrection issues 04 May 2024 11:01 #898458

• MUGORS1
  • MUGORS1's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Unfortunately, all I have with this machine are unknowns.  It’s a twin, so there is only one coil, and I am getting power to + terminal (yellow wire with red trace)

i have the shop manual, that is how I rewired it.  I have it to the point where it will turn over with starter button but it won’t attempt to start.

the carbs are off, I am spraying ether into the carb flanges.

if it had spark it would at least cough and backfire, I’m not expecting it to run in this state, just to show me that it could.

I’ve worked on enough machines to know when one wants to start, and this one shows no signs of that.

i am merely looking for an A-B-C from someone who knows these machines, although I have owned it several years, I am not very familiar with it, and not the most familiar with electrical system diagnostics.

• Page: