Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Disasterous Spray Paint Job 23 May 2010 16:44 #370298

• Old Man Rock
  • User
  • Thank you received: 225
Dimple/orange peeling of paint/clear is too thin or too far distance/speed in spraying....

Between each secession of paint coats and in between cure time, wet sand smooth to remove bugs, bumps, boo-boo's runs etc...

This was something I put together for a head light shell but works just the same for tank, plastics etc...

kzrider.com/index.php?option=com_docman&...d&gid=455&Itemid=108

No biggy, this can be fixed and no one other than you will know the difference...

OMR

Shameful plug I know.... :blush:
1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Disasterous Spray Paint Job 23 May 2010 17:09 #370302

• 1981jmotor
  • 1981jmotor's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • shade tree mechanic
  • Thank you received: 0
OMR, I read thru your process, and it wore me out just thinking about it. I got to go get some coffee...... Okay, I guess I will have to think of the final product as I wait, and sand, wait and sand some more. Yours is not the fast-buck method for sure.
Let's call my first shot with the Krylon a Beta. I can never be happy with it after looking at the pics posted by you guys.
1981 Kawasaki CSR 1000

First bike ever at 14 years old was 1969 Honda CL 175.
Bought a brand new Honda CM400T at 16 years old in 1979.

Disasterous Spray Paint Job 23 May 2010 17:25 #370309

• Old Man Rock
  • User
  • Thank you received: 225
Here's another persons work off the web on Tank Painting where I got most of my prep work and wet sanding techniques from... What can I say, it works! ;)

kzrider.com/index.php?option=com_docman&...d&gid=432&Itemid=108

Now you can speed up the curing process if you have curing lights or Arizona sunshine but.... Anything waiting for worth a damn will pay off in the end...

Look at some of these members home paint jobs where they patiently prepped, sanded, painted, wet sanded, clear coated etc... and honestly, very few if any could tell the difference, seriously!

Good luck and post them images of your progression... We're image whores here... :blush:

OMR
1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az

Disasterous Spray Paint Job 23 May 2010 18:02 #370320

• richard head
  • Banned
This is some good info. I plan to repaint my KZ this summer. I bought Wal Mart brand primer and paint. I plan to do it in multi colors with stripes. I will post some pics soon. This site rocks ! Glad I can join in.
Richard

Disasterous Spray Paint Job 23 May 2010 18:03 #370322

• Mark Wing
  • User
  • Thank you received: 22
Now all paint does not need wet sanding and polished to have a smooth shinny finish. All these paint jobs are just cleared no polishing. I've been painting a while though and I do polish if necessary.

Mark

Jesus loves you Everyone else thinks your an ***

77 KZ650 C1 with ZX7 forks, GPZ mono rear, wider 18 police wheels and Yoshimura motor.

Yorba Linda Cal.

Disasterous Spray Paint Job 23 May 2010 18:39 #370330

• PLUMMEN
  • User
  • Thank you received: 103
show off! :laugh:
Still recovering,some days are better than others.

Disasterous Spray Paint Job 23 May 2010 19:15 #370341

• Tony
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 13
richard head wrote:

This is some good info. I plan to repaint my KZ this summer. I bought Wal Mart brand primer and paint. I plan to do it in multi colors with stripes. I will post some pics soon. This site rocks ! Glad I can join in.
Richard

Hi Richard Head, Welcome to KZR. Good luck with your paint job. We'll be watching your posts.
Looking forward to seeing your paint job.

Last edit: by Tony.

Disasterous Spray Paint Job 23 May 2010 19:36 #370347

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
Nice work Mark :)

Disasterous Spray Paint Job 23 May 2010 19:40 #370349

• KZQ
  • Administrator
  • Walking Behind the Corn May Not Be All That!
  • Thank you received: 1281
Tony wrote:

richard head wrote:

Richard

Hi Richard Head, Welcome to KZR. Good luck with your paint job. We'll be watching your posts.
Looking forward to seeing your paint job.

Yeah, What Tony said!

Bill
www.KZ1300.com
Riders:
1968 BSA 441 Shooting Star, 1970 BSA 650 Lightning, 1974 W3, 1976 KZ900, 1979 KZ750 Twin, 1979 KZ750 Twin Trike, 1981 KZ1300, 1982 KZ1100 Spectre, 2000 Valkyrie, 2009 Yamaha Roadliner S. 1983 GL 1100
Projects:
1985 ZN1300

Disasterous Spray Paint Job 23 May 2010 19:45 #370351

• bountyhunter
  • User
  • Thank you received: 337
1981jmotor wrote:

Hey, this is for anybody ambitious enough to try spray painting.
First I prepped the surface of my tank, and plastic side covers with alcohol, and then a scotch-brite pad.
I used Krylon Gloss Black. I was painting over the factory black on the tank. I could not tell if the side covers were painted, or if the color was molded in.
Anyway, orange peel is bad, and the gloss is terrible. I will post pics later today in this thread.
My brother has an air compressor, and a real spray gun. I just wanted to get 'er done quick and cheap.

1) You didn't say what kind of paint (lacquer, synthetic enamel, plyurethane). A dull finish is normal for some types of plyurethane which requires a clear coat on top to shine.

2) Putting an "incompatible" type of paint over the original can cause crazing or funny looking finish including what yours looks like.

3) You should prime over the old paint even if it is the same color. The primer blocks out the old material from reacting with the new.

4) A bike's gas tank needs to be clearcoated with gas resistant paint (a two part catalyzing paint) or the gas will eat it right off.
1979 KZ-750 Twin

Last edit: by bountyhunter.

Disasterous Spray Paint Job 23 May 2010 19:56 #370354

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
Hey Richard....On a clear day you can see all the way to Texas in the reflection of a good spray can paint job.... ;)

I guess I really need to do more shopping at Walmart :P Jim buys underware...Otto buys oil.... and now Richard says they have awasome paint as well. It's just amazing what you can buy under one roof these days :)
Attachments:

Last edit: by larrycavan.

Disasterous Spray Paint Job 24 May 2010 05:56 #370407

• 1981jmotor
  • 1981jmotor's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • shade tree mechanic
This seems to be a very helpful thread. I hope that no old pro is indignant at instructions not being followed. Like if I said I was going to buy a $1 can of Walmart of glossy black, and tape the tank of ON THE BIKE, and expect to ride it within an hour. Then post the pics wondering why my bike looks so crappy :-)
The pics you guys have posted on here let me know just how nice my paint job can look, and how to do it.
Now, due to various reasons, I hardly got to ride my bike at all last summer. It is now legal, running good, and has a 10-10 paint job. I may wait until the weather turns cold here to redo the paint. On a 29 year old bike, I am sure I can find other less time-consuming things on it to improve over the summer.
Now, this might not be the appropriate category to ask this, but some people swear by Teflon additives like Slick-50, including my brother. I have been involved in vehicle repair most of my adult life, and I tried Slick-50 a couple of times many years ago and was not impressed. I also think there was some negative feedback on it, at least on the web. Any of you old pros willing to share on teflon additives?
1981 Kawasaki CSR 1000

First bike ever at 14 years old was 1969 Honda CL 175.
Bought a brand new Honda CM400T at 16 years old in 1979.