Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Just got a new(to me anyway) bike, have questions 09 Oct 2005 18:42 #113

• ktfrog
  • ktfrog's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I couldn't be happier. My father-in-law just gave me a 1976 kz900 b ltd. It runs and it seems to be in ok shape but I have many questions. There is an aftermarket oil cooler, but it seems to be plummed poorly. Would like to know how to do it properly and who makes a good one. The brake light works when you use the foot or rear brake but not when I apply the front brakes, is this how it is supposed to be? If it is not what could be wrong or missing? The rear tire seems to be off center ever so slightly, but enough to notice. How do I return it to center and how much torque should I put on the axle bolts? Sorry I haven't taken any pictures yet, I will post some soon. It is ugly, bad black paint and dirty side panels. I also need tach and speedo cables, where should I go to get a good deal? Also wondering where to get a new kz900 ltd side emblem, without paying Kawasaki my first born if possible. Sorry I do not have more helpful information for now. I have an 82 440ltd belt that runs well but needs restoration for sale as well as a 76 400. Both bikes are mostly complete, though I have never had the 400 running, just no time. They are both in South central Minnesota, if anyone is interested let me know I can sendpictures and any other information you might need. Thank you to anyone with the information I need.

Oh yeah, I am looking for a set of the original 1976 Kawasaki Kz900 manual and the supplement Kz900 ltd manual, I would love to purchase, but would like to lease them for about a week to ten days to scan and put on cd, would be willing to distribute them for the cost of the cd's and shipping to anyone here who would like them. I let a supplement slip by on Ebay the other day but have yet to see the actual Kawi manual anywhere.

Thank you again for all of your help and support.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Just got a new(to me anyway) bike, have questions 09 Oct 2005 19:13 #137

• ran429
  • User
  • Master of FREE rides!
  • Thank you received: 2
#1 rule at KzRider is PHOTOS PHOTOS PHOTOS.
Always post Photos of new to you bikes! :blink:

Just got a new(to me anyway) bike, have questions 09 Oct 2005 19:15 #140

• DanOz7Five0
  • User
I can only answer the simplest solution to your front brake problem, hopefuly thats it.

Follow your front brake hose off the master cylinder down to the lower triple tree (fork mount). There MAY be a "splitter" down there. You might find a place where 2 wires hook up to it. Check to see if thats what you have and if those wires are connected.

Just got a new(to me anyway) bike, have questions 09 Oct 2005 19:16 #145

• steell
  • User
  • Thank you received: 207
Brake light switch for the front brake may be bad.
Try Oldkawman for emblems www.oldkawman.com/
Manuals show up on eBay from time to time.
For cables, check with www.crc2onlinecatalog.com/
Is the tire aligned with the front, or is it pointing out to one side? If teh rear tire is crooked, then use the chain adjusters to align it with the front. If the entire wheel is offset, perhaps someone put the spacers in wrong.

Can't help with the oil cooler plumbing, you will have to wait till one of the 900/1000 owners stops by :)
KD9JUR

Just got a new(to me anyway) bike, have questions 09 Oct 2005 19:27 #157

• GONEHAWKN
  • User
welcome to the NEW site. and yes,Ran is right, PICS PICS PICS!!!! we need some pics of that scoot. nice score by the way. i am sure with all the helpfull folks around here, you'll get her all sorted out in no time flat!!

Bill

Just got a new(to me anyway) bike, have questions 09 Oct 2005 22:45 #256

• indykaw77
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4
I couldn't be happier. My father-in-law just gave me a 1976 kz900 b ltd.
Must be NICE!!! Wish MY future in-laws (hmmm...maybe OUTLAWS would be better term!!??) was that cool!
It runs and it seems to be in ok shape but I have many questions. There is an aftermarket oil cooler, but it seems to be plummed poorly. Would like to know how to do it properly and who makes a good one.
See www.oldkawman.com. Navigate to OIL COOLER article. Good step-by-step 'structions there.
The brake light works when you use the foot or rear brake but not when I apply the front brakes, is this how it is supposed to be? If it is not what could be wrong or missing?
Answered in previous replys
The rear tire seems to be off center ever so slightly, but enough to notice. How do I return it to center and how much torque should I put on the axle bolts?
What EXACTLY do you mean "seems to be off center ever so slightly, but enough to notice"???.
Sorry I haven't taken any pictures yet, I will post some soon.
SHAME on you....50 lashes with dirty rag mop!! (J/K....:)
I also need tach and speedo cables, where should I go to get a good deal? Also wondering where to get a new kz900 ltd side emblem, without paying Kawasaki my first born if possible.
Cables....check out www.z1enterprises.com, www.redlinecycle.com, or www.oldbikebarn.com. Emblem, check redlinecycle.com or z1enterprises.com
Oh yeah, I am looking for a set of the original 1976 Kawasaki Kz900 manual
Good Luck!
...and the supplement Kz900 ltd manual, I would love to purchase, but would like to lease them for about a week to ten days to scan and put on cd, would be willing to distribute them for the cost of the cd's and shipping to anyone here who would like them. I let a supplement slip by on Ebay the other day but have yet to see the actual Kawi manual anywhere.
Hmmmmm....not real sure....but that SOUNDS like possible copyright infringement....:) try getting a Clymer manual for 19??-1976 KZ900-1000. Should be all ya need in there.

Thank you again for all of your help and support.
No problem man...this is a GREAT site for info/help/advise. And the other guys aint kidding about pics!!!! Post soon as ya can!

Post edited by: indykaw77, at: 2005/10/10 01:51

Post edited by: indykaw77, at: 2005/10/10 01:52

Post edited by: indykaw77, at: 2005/10/10 02:00
Kawasaki Motorcycles...because cars lean th wrong way!

• Page: