Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

more ignition coil info needed 10 Oct 2006 11:39 #83205

• Bob_79KZ
  • Bob_79KZ's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Lou: Great stuff...thanks again for all the info and pointing me in the right direction.

One further note: I've ridden motorcycles for over 20 years and I've neverhad a coil, or any other ignition part fail me. That goes for my Harley's, kaswsaki's, susuki's, and Honda's.

Same with the electronic ignition in my cars...Zero failures. They build this stuff to last.

I find that you don't have problems until you start putting in non-standard parts. From then on you are plaqued with mystery problems.

And yes, I know, I'm messing around with different coils for my KZ so I'm gonna have mystery ignition failures. It's a risk I'm willing to take for the sake of science....

Keep the sunny side up,
Bob

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

more ignition coil info needed 10 Oct 2006 22:38 #83390

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
Yeah, if I could get original parts at a reasonable price, I would do it. Most of my mods are because parts are not available or way overpriced.

The only KZ parts that failed me were some coils, but that was after I rode through several huge downpours on a road trip. I also had a neglected clutch cable break on me. Overall, not bad for close to 15 years on 25-year-old bikes.

more ignition coil info needed 16 Oct 2006 15:11 #84757

• wagonmaster69
  • User
  • 78 KZ1000A2 / 82 KZ1100 Spectre
  • Thank you received: 4
You are write now you gotta find out abought the coil mod for even lower price coils.
78 KZ1000 work in progress in Hacienda Heights California and a 82 KZ1100 Spectra And a 1992 ZX11.

more ignition coil info needed 16 Oct 2006 15:37 #84763

• Duck
  • User
  • e vica na i sau na ga
  • Thank you received: 35
750LTDRider wrote:

First of all, plain and simple, the higher the resistance, the more heat is generated. That is simple electronics. And of course this is at the same voltage and current source. The higher the resistor value, the more voltage it will drop, and that energy has to go somewhere, and it results in heat dissipation.

P =I * V
V =I * R
P = V^2 / R

V is fixed at nominal 12V
R is in the denominator
Larger denominator means smaller value, in this case smaller P

more ignition coil info needed 16 Oct 2006 17:28 #84807

• steell
  • User
  • Thank you received: 207
Duck wrote:

750LTDRider wrote:

First of all, plain and simple, the higher the resistance, the more heat is generated. That is simple electronics. And of course this is at the same voltage and current source. The higher the resistor value, the more voltage it will drop, and that energy has to go somewhere, and it results in heat dissipation.

P =I * V
V =I * R
P = V^2 / R

R is in the denominator

Long story short (and no math needed) :)

Resistance increases, current decreases, voltage increases.

Want to see it in action?
Watch the voltmeter (if you have one) in your car, when you start it you run the battery down and the battery resistance decreases, after starting voltage will be low because the resistance at the battery is low and maximum current is flowing, as the battery charges you will see the voltage increase because the resistance of the battery is increasing and the current flow to the battery is decreasing.

Is that simpler, or more complicated?
KD9JUR

more ignition coil info needed 16 Oct 2006 18:17 #84815

• Bob_79KZ
  • Bob_79KZ's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
Steell:Whew....that went right over my head!!!

Bob

more ignition coil info needed 16 Oct 2006 20:57 #84849

• wireman
  • Visitor
steell wrote:

Duck wrote:

750LTDRider wrote:

P =I * V
V =I * R
P = V^2 / R

R is in the denominator

Long story short (and no math needed) :)

Resistance increases, current decreases, voltage increases.

Want to see it in action?
Watch the voltmeter (if you have one) in your car, when you start it you run the battery down and the battery resistance decreases, after starting voltage will be low because the resistance at the battery is low and maximum current is flowing, as the battery charges you will see the voltage increase because the resistance of the battery is increasing and the current flow to the battery is decreasing.

Is that simpler, or more complicated?

Attachments:

more ignition coil info needed 16 Oct 2006 23:08 #84869

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
Actually, in circuits that show a battery, the battery is assumed to be an "ideal" battery. That is, it's resistance is assumed to be zero and the battery is thought of as a pure voltage source. In reality, a more accurate representation would be a voltage source in series with a resistor.

As the battery goes dead, the voltage of the battery remains the same, but it's resistance increases. This causes the apparent voltage to drop because the resistor drops the voltage when current is flowing. But if we put a voltmeter on the physical battery the voltage is still close to that of the fully charged battery. That's because a voltmeter takes very little current.

Measure the voltage of dead AA battery and a new AA battery. The voltage will only be slightly lower on the dead one. But then put a load on the batteries. Then the apparent voltage on the dead one will be very low compared to the charged one. The dead one has a large resistance in series with it's voltage, but the charged one has a very low resistance in series with it's voltage.

Post edited by: loudhvx, at: 2006/10/17 02:09

more ignition coil info needed 17 Sep 2007 16:58 #171181

• jack2006
  • User
One quick one...GM HEI IGNITOR...what cars did it go in...everytime i call a parts store for one they ask me what car is it off cuz they can't find one...I tolde them any generic GM ...and they're like we need a car...BTW i'll be making the IC ignitor from the instructions that are above....new one is way to expensive and the 1 hour spend making your own is a fun excercise anyhow

more ignition coil info needed 18 Sep 2007 11:10 #171346

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
I believe most GM v-8 cars from mid 1970's will have it.
I think I asked for a 1977 v-8 Camaro or Nova. Make sure it looks like the one in the photo on my site.
www.geocities.com/loudgpz/GPZgmHEImod.html
That one is a Wells DR100.
The Niehoff (Borg-Warner?) DR400CS appears to be the same unit. Most places are selling the Niehoff part now.

more ignition coil info needed 18 Sep 2007 16:01 #171390

• jack2006
  • User
friggin partsource wants 54 bucks for the 400...gots to keep lookin,...they dont carry the 100

more ignition coil info needed 19 Sep 2007 07:18 #171533

• jack2006
  • User
Ok the Wells is not the easiest to find in Canada...)Toronto) I called all the major suppliers even the shop suppliers...the cheapest i and mind you not a wells was for 45 bucks...considering i need two...i don't know if it's worth making one myself.

Now if there is anyone out there who knows where to get two of them for a reasonable price here in Toronto please let me know...

Ok i'm off to pick up my tires :) and the clutch perch

I'll check here in a few hours to see if anyone has any suggestions