Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Is this a coil problem ? 30 Oct 2023 05:38 #891104

• oldblighty
  • oldblighty's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 5
Have a tec mp08 coil on the bike kz400 b , it also has z440 electronic ignition fitted runs and starts good when warmed up but when I connect up the clamp on lead timing light the left side flashes constant yet the right side is intermittent after swapping the ht leads over the problem moves to the left side is this normal for a clamp on timing light or is the coil / ht lead at fault.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Is this a coil problem ? 30 Oct 2023 05:41 #891105

• Wookie58
  • Thank you received: 1828
I think you have answered your own question given that they symptom moves with the component 

Is this a coil problem ? 30 Oct 2023 05:56 #891106

• oldblighty
  • User
Thanks I thought that also but I tried an older type timing light that goes between the plug and lead and both sides flash constant just seams unusual for a fault to show  with the clamp on light

Is this a coil problem ? 30 Oct 2023 06:00 #891107

• Wookie58
There may be a difference in the leads, the caps or the insulation thickness that is effecting the "inductive clamp" ?? are the plug gaps the same ? larger gaps will generate higher secondary voltage to overcome the additional space

Is this a coil problem ? 30 Oct 2023 06:32 #891110

• oldblighty
  • User
Hi yes plug gaps are the same and are new as are the caps, I’ve even changed over the ht leads out from the coil and the fault remains on the right side , the coil has a green tab and black tab on the primary I’m connected positive to the green tab but wouldn’t think this making any difference swapping negative to the green side and positive to the black
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wookie58

Last edit: by oldblighty.

Is this a coil problem ? 30 Oct 2023 07:29 #891112

• Warren3200gt
  • User
  • Thank you received: 665
On the clamp of the strobe you'll see that it has an arrow on it. On which ever lead flashes consistently the arrow is likely pointing towards the plug. When you switch it to the other lead which way is the arrow pointing?
If it's pointing towards the plug again try reversing it so it points towards the coil. 

Seems counter intuitive but there was a discussion about it on another forum and a member eventually came up with a diagram to show that the earth flow over two coils works in a circle which affects modern strobes. I'll try and find which forum it was and post the image if I find it. 

Z1000J2 somewhat modified!

Is this a coil problem ? 30 Oct 2023 07:48 #891114

• Wookie58

On the clamp of the strobe you'll see that it has an arrow on it. On which ever lead flashes consistently the arrow is likely pointing towards the plug. When you switch it to the other lead which way is the arrow pointing?
If it's pointing towards the plug again try reversing it so it points towards the coil. 

Seems counter intuitive but there was a discussion about it on another forum and a member eventually came up with a diagram to show that the earth flow over two coils works in a circle which affects modern strobes. I'll try and find which forum it was and post the image if I find it. 
I am a long time "out of school" but it is my understanding that this phenonium is more relevant to later "coil per cylinder" type ignitions but I am happy to be re-educated   

Is this a coil problem ? 30 Oct 2023 07:55 #891116

• Warren3200gt
  • User
Found it!
Screen shot of the comments and diagram. Take note of the differing arrow directions on the ht leads. 

Attachments:

Is this a coil problem ? 30 Oct 2023 08:25 #891117

• Wookie58
This doesn't make sense, the fault relates to 2&3 but not 1&4 these are separate coils so surely the diagram is irrelevant ? (wouldn't you expect the "bad" signal on one lead of each coil EG: 1&3?) also just to confuse things the diagram shows "electron flow" which is neg to pos as opposed to "current flow" which is pos to neg 

Attachments:

Last edit: by Wookie58.

Is this a coil problem ? 30 Oct 2023 08:53 #891118

• Warren3200gt
  • User
That was not the issue on the original thread Guy but it was posted as a possible cause of the symptoms.  It turned out to be coil 2 & 3 was breaking down but only evident at a narrow rev range. 
​​​​​​I posted it as a possible cause for the symptoms/observations on this thread. 

As it turned out on the thread I nicked it from it was not an issue with a boyer system ( sort of.) A po had managed to configure a micro 3 boyer system box designed for triples with 3 pick ups to run a four cylinder motor with 2 pick ups. 
Don't ask me how he did it but it worked once the coil was exchanged. 

Is this a coil problem ? 30 Oct 2023 09:04 #891119

• Wookie58
Makes sense Warren, some of these postings can cause confusion some "wasted spark" ignitions fire adjacent cylinder (1&2 - 3&4) so one is on the power stroke and the other is on exhaust to help reduce emissions with a "secondary burn"

Is this a coil problem ? 30 Oct 2023 15:20 #891136

• oldblighty
  • User
I will try it with the arrow pointing towards the coil instead of the plug probably this is why when I used the old type of ignition light it flashed constant as it should

• Page: