TOPIC:

Kz550 ignition wiring help. 01 Jan 2017 14:10 #751101

• alexromega
  • alexromega's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • first build and lovin it
  • Thank you received: 0

Attachment IMG_0416.JPG not found

I'm new to wiring anything like this so I got an m unit. I wired everything up to this diagram I made. I wanted someone to take a look at my wiring and tell me what I should do. I got everything in place but when I press the starter buttion I got nothing. I'm not sure if the starter button needs a power source but I'm not sure if I got the button wired correctly. If someone could direct me what I should do. I bypass the solenoid and the starter motor turns. I'm lost.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by alexromega. Reason: Pictures keep flipping

Kz550 ignition wiring help. 01 Jan 2017 15:41 #751111

• Tyrell Corp
  • User
  • "You were made as well as we could make you"
  • Thank you received: 260
I'm not sure if the starter button needs a power source but I'm not sure if I got the button wired correctly

Your solenoid is powered by the starter button, there is two thin wires from it + and - , energizing these powers the solenoid relay

If someone could direct me what I should do. I bypass the solenoid and the starter motor turns. I'm lost.

Bypassing the solenoid is the same as it being energised by the start button, relay closed or bridged has the same effect: the starter will turn.
Verify the starter button from the (disconnected) switchgear block connector and a meter.

Get a proper wiring diagram, you missed out the killswitch which feeds the starter button I think.
1980 Gpz550 D1, 1981 GPz550 D1. 1982 GPz750R1. 1983 z1000R R2. all four aces
The following user(s) said Thank You: alexromega

Last edit: by Tyrell Corp.

Kz550 ignition wiring help. 01 Jan 2017 17:05 #751118

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1621
If you're doing a basic rewire, here's a topic with a bunch of wiring diagrams provided by loudhvx. I'm not sure if there's anything specific to the 550 or mptpgadget. He has oem wiring diagrams on his motorcycle stuff page. see links in his signature.

1980 750H bare bones for mattylight (pg 1)

Last edit: by martin_csr.

Kz550 ignition wiring help. 01 Jan 2017 17:26 #751122

• alexromega
  • User
The m unit has a start input and output. The starter solenoid has a green/red wire and the other side has a Y/R wire. I'm trying to figure out where these two wire come put into play with what other wires.

The BLK/R and the Y/R on the starter button controls I believe are the wires I need for the push start but how do I wire in with the m unit and solenoid.

Thanks for the feedback I'm just a noob when it comes to this.
Attachments:

Kz550 ignition wiring help. 01 Jan 2017 20:52 #751141

• alexromega
  • User
gonna have to re wire and troubleshoot

Kz550 ignition wiring help. 02 Jan 2017 12:57 #751174

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
Do you have a manual for the M unit? That is the unknown in this equation. It's just a black box. I don't really see why you need it for the starter function anyway. You already have a start button and starter solenoid, which is all you should need. Why make it more complicated by going through the M unit? And since the diagram you show is so bare bones, why do you need the M unit for the ignition? The ignition switch, igniter and coils are all you need for the ignition. You already have a 30A main fuse, so what will the M unit do?

Or are you planning to add a bunch of lights etc?

To answer your question... normally all Kz's use the starter button to apply 12v to the solenoid. The solenoid coil is usually permanently grounded. So 12v must be routed to the starter switch so it will have a 12v source. Normally there is already a 12v source there since the kill switch is mounted to the same control perch. There is not usually a ground wire near the starter button, so it makes more sense to do it the way Kawasaki designed it.

It does not need to be wired that way though. Other bikes brands will permanently apply (switched) 12v to the starter solenoid coil, and use the starter button to apply the ground to the solenoid coil. If you are using an aftermarket starter button, and it is wired such that pressing it will ground the starter button wire through the handle bar, then you have to reconfigure the starter solenoid coil to have a switched 12v (12v when the ignition switch is turned on) connection. ( That is how you have drawn your diagram above.)

Last edit: by loudhvx.

Kz550 ignition wiring help. 03 Jan 2017 09:05 #751281

• alexromega
  • User
The starter button I purchased is aftermarket. Also you said i could just wire the ignition without the m unit? I would prefer it. The m unit diagrams I've been looking at tells me to wire it this way and that way

Attachment IMG_0420.PNG not found

Attachment IMG_0422.PNG not found

could I run off the key switch to the solenoid to give it the 12v switched? My key switch that is a 3 position? I'm just still a little confused.
Attachments:

Last edit: by alexromega.

Kz550 ignition wiring help. 03 Jan 2017 10:24 #751294

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
Well, you can wire the whole bike without the M unit. I'm not sure what the advantage of having it is. Does it somehow help with troubleshooting?

But yes, you can wire the ignition without the M unit.

How much lighting are you going to be using? FUll gauges etc?

If you are just going bare bones... headlight and tail light, I don't really see a necessity for the M unit.

Are you using the stock regulator/rectifier? If so, that is not enough wires shown on the M unit diagram. There is a critically important brown wire on the stock reg.rec.

If you are doing a bare bones wiring, I can draw up a simple diagram. But I would need to know every item you plan to have.

Kz550 ignition wiring help. 03 Jan 2017 15:18 #751316

• TexasKZ
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2067
The M unit is a solid state device that allows the builder to ditch those troublesome fuses and relays.

revivalcycles.com/collections/motogadget...et-m-unit-controller
1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

Kz550 ignition wiring help. 03 Jan 2017 18:12 #751329

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
Interesting. But it still shows a main fuse and starter solenoid being used. In my experience, solid-state, especially microcontroller-based solid-state, devices are far more troublesome than fuses.

and wow, $300 :ohmy: Yikes. I'll stick with my $20 fuse holders and relays,

It seems like if you can follow the wiring diagram to wire the M unit, you should be able to follow the wiring diagram to wire a bike without it.

Last edit: by loudhvx.

Kz550 ignition wiring help. 03 Jan 2017 18:55 #751331

• alexromega
  • User
My voltage regulator they ricks motorsports regulator I believe it's a 10 305 . It has three wires for the stater and a red wire for voltage and I believe the black wire is for ground could be wrong.

I am unit was a pretty good route for me because I have very little room for wiring I get to shovel the inputs and all the outputs to make it look neat.
I do have a good bit of lights and controls and a odometer to wire to the m unit. I just got to do troubleshooting ignition System before I start wiring all the other components. Want to hear this baby fire. I just hope I have my regulator in the igniter wired up correctly. My pictures it was so all the wiring that I've done. Nothing is really permanent so far or cleaned up I still have to get the connectors and I have to Sauter all the connections.

Attachment IMG_0414.JPG not found

Attachment IMG_0413.JPG not found

Attachments:

Kz550 ignition wiring help. 03 Jan 2017 18:57 #751332

• alexromega
  • User
Going to make a phone call about the starter solenoid I purchased need to get some more information about it
Also call Moto gadget

Last edit: by alexromega.
  • Page: