• Page:

TOPIC:

Removing headlight (+ sidestand killswitch) 24 Nov 2016 12:41 #748845

• Lajning
  • Lajning's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello lads

I've got a project bike I'm working on, a 1981 z500.

One of many tasks is to replace the headlight. Before I go ahead and screw the entire front end apart; do you really need to remove the top triple to remove the headlight? Looking at it, I guess it's so, but I just wanted to check.

On a side note ( ;)) The killswitch for the sidestand is acting up. The bike has the optional electric retracting stand, so there are 4 wires running down to the switch. Which of them do I need to connect the make the bike run without the killswitch?

Thx,
Lajning
Kawasaki Z500 1981
Suzuki Sv650s 2003 (ooops)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Removing headlight (+ sidestand killswitch) 24 Nov 2016 16:23 #748854

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
To take the headlight mounting ears off, the upper triple clamp must come off, but it's not too big of a deal.

I've never heard of an electric, retracting sidestand on a Kz. Are you sure it's not just a switch? Normally the switch will cause the ignition to kill if the stand is down and the bike is not in neutral.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lajning

Removing headlight (+ sidestand killswitch) 25 Nov 2016 09:18 #748884

• Lajning
  • User
Thx for your reply!

Removing the headlight will be easy peasy now :)

Regarding the kickstand, you might be right. I do however recall reading about an optional extra for the Swedish, German and Brittish market, being the electrical retraction. For the life of me I can't remember where and my Google-fu is severly lacking atm.
Kawasaki Z500 1981

Removing headlight (+ sidestand killswitch) 25 Nov 2016 14:11 #748901

• Lajning
  • User
Sorry for double posting (is it allowed btw?)

I just had a readthrough in the manual and I've completely gotten the whole sidestand deal wrong. The switch on the handlebar is a killswitch for the sidestand killswitch, if you'd like to start the bike with the sidestand still down.

Anywho, it's going to the bin.

Also, thanks for the help loudhvx, much appreciated!
Kawasaki Z500 1981

Removing headlight (+ sidestand killswitch) 25 Nov 2016 14:19 #748903

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
BTW, there is a bunch of Z500/Z550 info in my signature. Read the valve train warning before opening the valve cover, and follow the other links for a carburetor website and factory service manuals.

Good luck on the project! B)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lajning

Removing headlight (+ sidestand killswitch) 26 Nov 2016 06:09 #748957

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1621
An electrically operated self-retracting side stand sounds kinda Rube Goldberg.
curious, I did a search & a Kawasaki engineer came up with something back in the 70s. :laugh:
patent. Automatic side stand retreating device for motorcycle US 4095823 A

I seem to recall that some Kawasakis had an overly complicated side stand, but I don't remember what model. I don't think it was electrical, but it was sorta complex for something as simple as a side stand.

Last edit: by martin_csr.

Removing headlight (+ sidestand killswitch) 26 Nov 2016 08:16 #748972

• Tyrell Corp
  • User
  • "You were made as well as we could make you"
  • Thank you received: 260
Some of the Euro spec models had a cable operated sidestand retractor, plus a starter motor interlock based on the stand being up and the clutch pulled in. This usually get removed and bypassed.

To bypass the switch just reconfigure as if the stand is up all the time. Do a good connection here, if that lets go it will kill the engine instantly - and maybe you if you are knee down on a tight bend.
1980 Gpz550 D1, 1981 GPz550 D1. 1982 GPz750R1. 1983 z1000R R2. all four aces

Removing headlight (+ sidestand killswitch) 26 Nov 2016 10:01 #748981

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
As a side note... my buddy and were leving a bike night at a local bar. As we sped past another rider, he quickly caught up to us, and vaguely, I heard him yell something, but it took me a second to figure out it was. Something like "sidestand". It then hit me, and I looked at my buddy and yelled check your side stand. It was down, and we were about to make a sharp left at speed. That guy may have saved my buddy's life, or at least prevented a very bad evening.

Be aware, things like bike nights get you out of your habits. You might be in the habit of starting the bike with the sidestand up, but at bike night you might be in the middle of a conversation, or otherwise distracted. Always try to more diligent in group rides or anytime you might be doing something different from normal.

I've known a few people who ended their riding days because of a sidestand-getoff. They can be devastating throwing you into oncoming traffic while making a left turn.

I can see why manufacturers go to such lengths to find a solution, but none have been ideal.

Last edit: by loudhvx.

Removing headlight (+ sidestand killswitch) 26 Nov 2016 12:13 #748986

• Lajning
  • User
Again, thx for your help!

You do have some valid points, there's no denying the safety aspect of it all. My Sv650 has a clutch in to start killswitch and ofc the stand kill as well. I've made it a habit to always go to neutral and retract the stand before I start, just to make sure nothing bad happens.

All electric mods will be done properly with factory components or soldered joints.
Kawasaki Z500 1981

Removing headlight (+ sidestand killswitch) 26 Nov 2016 17:26 #749009

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
It's good to have one bike with a sidestand kill switch... to make it second nature to flip the stand.

Removing headlight (+ sidestand killswitch) 27 Nov 2016 09:04 #749034

• Nerdy
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 379

martin_csr wrote: I seem to recall that some Kawasakis had an overly complicated side stand, but I don't remember what model. I don't think it was electrical, but it was sorta complex for something as simple as a side stand.

My '79 KZ400 has a little mechanism with a spring, etc. that senses sprocket rotation and raises the sidestand when the bike is in motion. This is okay unless you're pushing the bike just short distance (e.g. in the shop) and the @#$%^&* sidestand keeps going up.

When I pull the cover this winter to replace oil seals that little gizmo is not going back on the bike.
1979 KZ400 Gifted to a couple of nephews
1967 Yamaha YCS1 Bonanza
1980 KZ440B
1981 Yamaha XT250H
1981 KZ440 LTD project bike
1981 GPz550
2013 Yamaha FZ6R

Removing headlight (+ sidestand killswitch) 28 Nov 2016 05:49 #749083

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1621
Thanks. I remember now: there's a pin on the Fr sprocket that engages the mechanism to retract the side stand. I don't like that one bit.

There are a thousand ways to get killed on a motorcycle, so forgetting the side stand is the least of my worries. hee. I kinda do it automatically. grab handlebars. swing leg over saddle. sit & tilt bike to level position. retract side stand. etc etc etc.

Last edit: by martin_csr.
  • Page: