Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Dyna ignition eats power A LOT kills charging syst 16 Oct 2016 21:44 #745402

• ahot1968
  • ahot1968's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
I have a 1981 KZ 750 bought the bike with a dayna ignition pick up coil's wire did omitting the ic ignition unit. I have experienced problems starting the bike due to a dead battery. This is a new battery now a new stater and also a new regulator rectifier I can only get 12 1/2 V out of my charging system I have removed the dayna pick up coils and have gone back to the stock pick up coil's and IC ignition unit I am back to charging with 13 1/2 V at 4000 RPM's please someone tell me why????????????????
Why are the pick up coil's causeing my charging system to only put out 12 1/2 V, there for killing my ability to use my electric starter!!!
Can anyone please help I would like to use the better ignition, But not at the expense of running my fat ass down the street to jumpstart my bike every time I go to the store for smokes, FYI quitting smoking is also not an option. ( long rides also)
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by ahot1968. Reason: I used talk to text need I say more

Dyna ignition eats power A LOT kills charging syst 16 Oct 2016 21:55 #745404

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
The Dyna S uses twice as much power because its dwell is more than twice as long. But that does not mean it is a better ignition. The factory ignition is far more efficient. more reliable, and does not heat up the coils if the crank is not turning.

But Dyna S ignitions are not bad either. They are pretty good, just not quite as refined as the factory ignition. They do use a lot more power though, and it's usually 78-79 KZ650's that have the most problems with the charging system.

Usually the Kz750's have enough power for the Dyna S ignitions, but you are the second KZ750 owner to have this problem (Dyna S using too much power for the charging system) this year. So maybe the KZ750 rotors are losing magnetism with age. You could maybe try a new regulator/rectifier, or try a new stator, or try a different rotor. Either way, you probably want to gio back to the factory ignition permanently.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ahot1968

Dyna ignition eats power A LOT kills charging syst 17 Oct 2016 04:33 #745409

• GPzMOD750
  • User
  • Thank you received: 148

loudhvx wrote: The Dyna S uses twice as much power because its dwell is more than twice as long. But that does not mean it is a better ignition. The factory ignition is far more efficient. more reliable, and does not heat up the coils if the crank is not turning.

But Dyna S ignitions are not bad either. They are pretty good, just not quite as refined as the factory ignition. They do use a lot more power though, and it's usually 78-79 KZ650's that have the most problems with the charging system.

Usually the Kz750's have enough power for the Dyna S ignitions, but you are the second KZ750 owner to have this problem (Dyna S using too much power for the charging system) this year. So maybe the KZ750 rotors are losing magnetism with age. You could maybe try a new regulator/rectifier, or try a new stator, or try a different rotor. Either way, you probably want to gio back to the factory ignition permanently.

Now you tell me! I've ended up replacing everything including a NOS flywheel/rotor. I'm thinking that I might be able to use some more efficient headlights and such to compensate.There were just hints my Dyna S was causing the problem but I wasn't really aware of them until after I'd done everything else.

If you are willing to try a new reg/rect to see if it improves I'd be very interested to know. The recommended replacement R/Rs are the Shindengen SH775 series type found on Polaris quads or one of the FH model MOSFETs put on many later Kawis among others. They are identical externally and the pigtails can be had from your Triumph dealer for around $10.

Dyna ignition eats power A LOT kills charging syst 17 Oct 2016 06:45 #745418

• GPzMOD750
  • User
I just remembered that I read somewhere that the Dyna S is somewhat programmable. I don't know how it's done or if the other modes might help. How would I find this out?

Dyna ignition eats power A LOT kills charging syst 17 Oct 2016 08:57 #745425

• KZB2 650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 265
I've ran the Dyna set up since 84 (on my 2nd one) with the 2 wire charging system on my bike and have never had a problem with a weak battery........ and probably 95% of my rides are around 25 - 30 miles. Will admit I've learned on here that the Dyna uses more power but Maybe a weak charging system more than the Dyna is being the problem ??
1978 KZ650 b-2
700cc Wiseco kit 10 to 1.
1980 KZ750 cam, ape springs, stock clutch/ Barnett springs.
Vance and Hines Header w/ comp baffle and Ape pods, Dyna S and green coils, copper wires.
29MM smooth bores W/ 17.5 pilots, 0-6s and 117.5 main
16/42 gearing X ring chain and alum rear JT sprocket.

Dyna ignition eats power A LOT kills charging syst 17 Oct 2016 10:20 #745435

• JoHNY
  • User
  • Thank you received: 6
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationA mosfet RegRect will do the job. If the AC from the gen/stator goes through the loom/harness, bypass the loom and feed them straight into the RR. Same applies to the DC from the RR to the battery. Also use a higher grade and thicker wire from the RR to the battery. This guy is charging way too much, you can buy cheaper out there. A Gixer 1000 RegRect is the same and get the RR in the wind

Kawasaki Z750P7 Spectre, Triumph Daytona 955i, Honda CBR1000FN

Last edit: by JoHNY.

Dyna ignition eats power A LOT kills charging syst 17 Oct 2016 10:37 #745438

• GPzMOD750
  • User
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configuration

KZB2 650 wrote: I've ran the Dyna set up since 84 (on my 2nd one) with the 2 wire charging system on my bike and have never had a problem with a weak battery........ and probably 95% of my rides are around 25 - 30 miles. Will admit I've learned on here that the Dyna uses more power but Maybe a weak charging system more than the Dyna is being the problem ??

My charging system has been completely replaced with new stuff except the SH775 R/R that I bought of a reputable eBay vendor. They actually sent me 2 to make sure the first one was good. The only thing besides the stator not having enough output is the battery and I bought it last spring. Anyone know of a for sure high output stator?

JoHNY wrote: A mosfet RR will do the job. If the AC from the gen goes through the loom/harness, bypass the loom and feed them straight into the RR. Same applies to the DC from the RR to the battery. Also use a higher grade and thicker wire from the RR to the battery. This guy is charging way too much, you can buy cheaper out there. Get the RR in the wind

Yeah that's high. I bought my SH775 for $40 and the FH012 that ended up on my KZ1100A for $20 both off eBay which are on the bargain end of the spectrum. But I still wouldn't pay more $50 for either. The wire and bullet connectors can be bought at any auto parts store for about $10 with mucho surplus. And the pig tails for the Street Triple are about $10 at the Triumph dealer.

Last edit: by GPzMOD750.

Dyna ignition eats power A LOT kills charging syst 17 Oct 2016 12:41 #745449

• JoHNY
  • User
  • Thank you received: 6
Exactly right GPZMOD. I think the gen/stator is a two phase winding, would a three phase be an option?
Kawasaki Z750P7 Spectre, Triumph Daytona 955i, Honda CBR1000FN

Dyna ignition eats power A LOT kills charging syst 17 Oct 2016 12:59 #745456

• ahot1968
  • User
Mine is a 3 phase winding Sator and all electronics run off the Regulator unlike newer bikes run off the battery Just saying and also my performance with the stock pickups is identical

Dyna ignition eats power A LOT kills charging syst 17 Oct 2016 13:01 #745457

• GPzMOD750
  • User

JoHNY wrote: Exactly right GPZMOD. I think the gen/stator is a two phase winding, would a three phase be an option?

Mine's 3 phase. 75+ VAC before the R/R and not quite making 13 VDC @ 6k rpm last I checked. Idk if things have changed since I installed it. I put my bike down just after the upgrade and now I have to rebuild the engine.

Dyna ignition eats power A LOT kills charging syst 17 Oct 2016 13:35 #745462

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
I'm pretty sure I did mention it on your Gpz750 charging thread. But I don't know if you had the chance to try a factory ignition.

Without going through all the pages... sorry I don't remember, but had you ever replaced the rotor?

There have been many threads over the last 15 years regarding some Kz650 charging systems and Dyna S issues, while many others were perfectly fine. It's possible there are just a bad batch of weaker rotors out there. I wonder if one found it's way onto your 750 (and maybe even on ahot1968's bike as well). The rotors do interchange between the 750-4's and 650's.

Dyna ignition eats power A LOT kills charging syst 17 Oct 2016 13:39 #745463

• ahot1968
  • User
I have replaced all components of the charging system the sator is now pushing 60-80 volts at 4000 RPMs

• Page: