• Page:

TOPIC:

Dim LCD dashboard display 24 Aug 2016 06:45 #739741

• MayerMatthewR
  • MayerMatthewR's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4
Good morning everyone,

I'm hoping someone could assist me with a problem I'm experiencing with my 1983 GPz 550. As stated above, the LCD readout on my dash is very dim and not very legible. I've done a fair amount of searching and haven't had too much luck in tracking down the issue or a fix. Lots of people seem to have problems with dim LCDs, but that's mostly due to them parking them in the heat. This is *not* the problem I have. My display is dim all the time.

Thanks much for any assistance that can be offered,

-Matt

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Dim LCD dashboard display 24 Aug 2016 17:40 #739809

• ThatGPzGuy
  • Sustaining Member
  • More Sparky than Speed Racer
  • Thank you received: 377
Hey Matt, I have the same issue with my GPZ750. For mine it seemed to get worse when I replaced the bulbs in the instrument panel. Not sure if you need a special bulb behind it or not. Maybe someone wiser will chime in...
Jim
North GA
2016 Yamaha FJR1300ES
1982 GPz750 R1
1974 Kawasaki H1
1976 Kawasaki KZ400
1979 Yamaha XS650 cafe'
2001 KZ1000P
2001 Yamaha YZ426
1981 Honda XR200 stroked in an '89 CR125 chassis
1965 Mustang
1967 Triumph GT6
1976 Bronco
"If you didn't build it, it's not really yours"

Dim LCD dashboard display 25 Aug 2016 07:27 #739879

• MayerMatthewR
  • MayerMatthewR's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4

ThatGPzGuy wrote: Hey Matt, I have the same issue with my GPZ750. For mine it seemed to get worse when I replaced the bulbs in the instrument panel. Not sure if you need a special bulb behind it or not. Maybe someone wiser will chime in...

Thanks for the response; my assumption is that you may have knocked something loose that was already possibly in a fragile state. I've been doing some reading and it looks like failed/failing electronic components like capacitors and whatnot can cause a dim condition. Of course more simple things like corroded connectors can be a problem as well. I've not done any digging into the dash myself just yet as I'm dealing with other more important problems (tank was leaking, had to de-rust it, solder it up, coat it, and repaint/patch it up, etc). That said, I want to get to the bottom of this problem because it is quite irritating!

• Page: