• Page:

TOPIC:

Wiring diagram question- kz1000 21 Aug 2016 23:16 #739444

• Drizzle
  • Drizzle's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0

Attachment Screenshot_2016-08-22-00-59-41.png not found

Under the seat of my '82 kz1000 LTD there is a short white/black wire coming from a fuse, but it isn't connected to anything. The wiring diagram shows that a red/white wire leads to the fuse, then the white/black wire exits, and shows it ending at a "+" sign.

I'm not 100% confident with diagrams and am trying to figure out where this W/B wire is supposed to go, because it's currently an empty female 2-bullet connector.

Also have a rogue black/yellow ground wire bolted to my frame above my battery not connected to anything. Thoughts? Hoping these two wires solve the mystery to why my battery is dead and not charging.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Drizzle.

Wiring diagram question- kz1000 22 Aug 2016 00:23 #739445

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 2098

Drizzle wrote:

Attachment Screenshot_2016-08-22-00-59-41.png not found

Under the seat of my '82 kz1000 LTD there is a short white/black wire coming from a fuse, but it isn't connected to anything. The wiring diagram shows that a red/white wire leads to the fuse, then the white/black wire exits, and shows it ending at a "+" sign.

I'm not 100% confident with diagrams and am trying to figure out where this W/B wire is supposed to go, because it's currently an empty female 2-bullet connector.

Also have a rogue black/yellow ground wire bolted to my frame above my battery not connected to anything. Thoughts? Hoping these two wires solve the mystery to why my battery is dead and not charging.

Hello, Drizzle, and WELCOME to KZr! :)

The wires in question are most likely "extra" connections provided for convenience in adding accessory components, and unrelated to why the battery is dead and not charging.

It the bke's charging system is up-to-snuff, voltage measured between the battery posts at 4000 rpm is supposed to be 14+ volts.

Good Fortune! :)
1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

Wiring diagram question- kz1000 22 Aug 2016 05:00 #739457

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1622
Reiterating Pattons's reply, the black/white wire is a pos (+) accessory lead for adding stuff & the black/yellow is an accessory ground. There should also be a blue/white (+) acc lead & black/yellow acc ground at the headlight bucket.

Manual. The kz1000r.com site may have an 81-83 KZ1000/1100 Kawasaki factory service manual w wiring diagrams.

Battery. How old is the battery & has it been properly maintained? are you using a motorcycle charger to keep it charged if the bike is unridden for periods of time? I would charge the battery with a good motorcycle smart charger and check it with a digital multimeter & do a simple load test to make certain it's good. Ctek US 0.8 mc charger & VC97 multimeter.

Last edit: by martin_csr.

Wiring diagram question- kz1000 22 Aug 2016 08:45 #739494

• Drizzle
  • User
Good to know I'm not missing any important wires. I picked up the bike with a charged battery and it was dead by the end of the day. I've charged it for 24hrs and it's still dead, but the bike push starts and runs no problem.

If the charging system is running the bike no issue, it's probably my battery thats toast, right? A kickstart sure would be nice

Wiring diagram question- kz1000 22 Aug 2016 10:44 #739501

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1622
I would get a digital multimeter & do some of the tests outlined in the manual, such as the one Patton noted.
A VC97 multimeter is relatively inexpensive on eebbaayy. RadioShack has cheap ones as well.

After charging the battery with a motorcycle trickle charger, it should be 12.6 VDC, but a good battery will be higher.

Load test. after charging w a mc charger. Ignition switch on (engine off) & high beam on, it should drop to about 12.2 VDC. if less than that, the battery may need replacing. if less than 11 VDC, the battery is probably shot.

Last edit: by martin_csr.

Wiring diagram question- kz1000 22 Aug 2016 11:06 #739504

• Drizzle
  • User
Awesome, thanks for the help guys.

• Page: