Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

turn signal horn switch replacement 21 Jul 2016 11:28 #735749

• Deshi
  • Deshi's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
i bought a universal switch for the headlamp, horn, and turn signals i never use the hazard switch anyways so im not worried about that feature. I cannot seem to figure out where the hell it all goes. the switch i bought came with no diagram but thanks to people on amazon they listed what wires are for what i just cannot figure out what color wires on the bike are for what and where it all goes did not want to take tank off or anything till i knew for sure where the plug might be located.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Deshi.

turn signal horn switch replacement 21 Jul 2016 11:38 #735751

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1621
What bike is it? year & model needed, as wiring diagrams can vary from year to year & between models.

turn signal horn switch replacement 21 Jul 2016 11:45 #735752

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2672
No disrespect but when I read something like "I don't want to take the tank off" I shudder a little. You have a 35 year old motorcycle that needs regular maintenance. How can you take care of the bike if you are adverse to a simple thing like removing the tank?

Re:turn signal horn switch replacement 22 Jul 2016 14:10 #735877

• GPzMOD750
  • User
  • Thank you received: 148
What bike and what switches? Find the wiring diagram and it's not hard figure out from there.

I just put some on my 82 GPz 750. The biggest problem I had was they changed the voltage or resistance in the headlight circuit. This tripped my reserve lighting system which messed up the brightness of the high and low beams. I first thought I just needed to put in headlight relays, which isn't a bad thing anyway. The reserve system fried them. So I deleted the system and I'm waiting for new relays to arrive.

My horn sounds weak too so I'm going to put in a relay for that as well.

Last edit: by GPzMOD750.

turn signal horn switch replacement 22 Jul 2016 18:25 #735919

• GPzMOD750
  • User

turn signal horn switch replacement 28 Jul 2016 14:41 #736524

• GPzMOD750
  • User
Really?

A 1:1 post to thread start ratio with no replies.

I just did this mod and could probably give you some primo info but if you don't want to play neither do I.

turn signal horn switch replacement 28 Jul 2016 15:23 #736528

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2611
I have nothing to contribute. I asked about a resister for my duel horns, one question then all quiet. Oh well, I'll figure it out myself. :whistle:
Steve

turn signal horn switch replacement 29 Jul 2016 07:56 #736591

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 2098
Including information about bike year and model is helpful to viewers.
It's easy to put the information in your signature where it shows in all posted messages, past and future.
And the signature may be changed whenever and as often as desired.

If wanting a signature showing information about the bike in posted messages, it's easy to do.
Here's how:

Good Fortune! :)
1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:

turn signal horn switch replacement 29 Jul 2016 08:24 #736595

• GPzMOD750
  • User
If you go to the the OPs first ever post it's a KZ750H3.....

My observations on doing my own bike.

The wire colors given in the QA part of the listing I linked earlier is wrong. The wire colors were either changed after the answer was posted or the person posting the message was mistaken. I noted the differences when i wired mine up if the OP can verify that this is the unit he has I'll give that info. Otherwise, it would just confuse the situation.

I had to delete the reserve lighting system to get it to work. I couldn't find any real tech data on the system so putting resistors or other do-dads on the wiring to make it function correctly wasn't an option. The H3 has the self canceling signals that the R1 doesn't and would not be compatible with the new switches either. I'm sure just jumping wires there and deleting the control box in a similar matter as the reserve system would be effective as well.

Although the headlight is working fine without relays I'd recommend installing some along with a relay for the horn. The capacity for the switches are unknown so better safe than sorry. It's not too hard to do you just need the hardware and someplace to put them.

• Page: