Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Electrical Guru Needed for Kawi Build 25 May 2016 16:31 #728539

• BadMonk
  • BadMonk's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
I thought that I was nearing the point on my '84 Kawi ZN1100LTD. Then, the wiring decided to take a dump. It's no wonder cuz the wires are dried out and brittle wires. Some almost snap off. So, it's time to remove the old and put in brand new wires. I'm not now and never will be anything but a wiring newb, and it ain't that I haven't tried. Anyhow, I put white out on a factory schematic and drew some lines. Don't know if this is possible but could anyone take a look at the attached pic and tell me if it looks okay? (Yeah, it's not professional looking and the size probably has to be increased to see it clearly. Sorry 'bout that but it's the best I can do).

Attachment BareBonesZN001.jpg not found

1984 Kawasaki ZN1100 LTD
2007 Victory Vegas
1981 Suzuki GS850GL
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by BadMonk. Reason: attachment

Electrical Guru Needed for Kawi Build 25 May 2016 22:11 #728597

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
I'm not real familiar with the ZN, but I would have expected the B/W wire on the igniter to go to ground. Either way, it shouldn't go to the white wire on the reg/rec, as that is normally permanent 12v (though you don't have it connected that way).

Also, you have the reg/rec output going directly to the ignition switch, with no fuse, and no connection to the battery. You won't get power to the ignition switch.

Also, you have the battery permanently powering the starter solenoid, thus it will start cranking when you connect the battery.

Also, you show no connection to ground for the igniter and reg/rec. They are grounded to each other, but their shared ground is not shown connected to the battery ground. This would be bad.

Also, you are showing the high-current connection of the solenoid connected to the start switch. They should be to the battery and starter. The starter wire is not really shown connected to the solenoid components.

I'm surprised to see the brake-light wire going to the ignition switch. I've never seen that on a KZ. Can't tell why it's there. The ZN schematic does show it that way. I suspect that is an error on the original diagram based on the other connections to that circuit.

You have no connection to power the headlight circuit.

First and foremost, I would recommend getting at least one fuse on the main power, otherwise you could be melting a lot of wire.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BadMonk

Last edit: by loudhvx.

Electrical Guru Needed for Kawi Build 26 May 2016 00:28 #728605

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
Check the last page of the mattylight thread.

kzrider.com/forum/4-electrical/172746-19...ght?start=360#728604

Electrical Guru Needed for Kawi Build 26 May 2016 05:15 #728613

• BadMonk
  • User
Wow! Thank you, loudhvx. I'm red-faced to admit it took me all day to create my mess...yep, from 9 AM until 4 PM. I can't even guess how much time and frustration you saved me - a ton. I'll take my time to go over your explanation above. Maybe I can understand things some more. It's awesome that you can do that. Really...amazing.
1984 Kawasaki ZN1100 LTD
2007 Victory Vegas
1981 Suzuki GS850GL

Electrical Guru Needed for Kawi Build 26 May 2016 05:59 #728618

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
No problem. I hope it helps. But like I said, I think there is an error in the full, original diagram, and the ignition switch info is mostly guesswork since it doesn't have the switching map (like the other switches show).

If you have a color diagram, or a different diagram, it might help to post it so I can check.

Electrical Guru Needed for Kawi Build 26 May 2016 09:34 #728660

• BadMonk
  • User
I couldn't find a ZN diagram in color. The only ones that I have are B/W and don't show the ignition switch. However, attached is a KZ-1100 A3 diagram. It looks a lot like the ZN. It's also in color and shows the switch. Thank you.

Attachment kz1100a3wd.jpg not found

1984 Kawasaki ZN1100 LTD
2007 Victory Vegas
1981 Suzuki GS850GL
Attachments:

Electrical Guru Needed for Kawi Build 26 May 2016 09:39 #728661

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
Yes, I was using a Kz1100 diagram as a reference earlier. But unfortunately, the ignition switch is different with regards to the wire colors, so I don't trust it to be the same.

A black and white diagram is fine, but it's the ZN ignition switch map that we really need. I'm surprised I couldn't find one online. Maybe that model wasn't around very long?

Electrical Guru Needed for Kawi Build 26 May 2016 09:44 #728665

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
I should mention, the other option is for you to map it out with an ohmeter.

Basically, you disconnect the switch, and find continuity between wires.

You will make 3 charts... one for each position of the switch.
One for On, one for Off, and one for Park.

In each chart you just list each wire, and for each wire, list the other wires it has continuity to.

If you have a full manual, there might be a chart for the ignition switch in the electrical section.

Last edit: by loudhvx.

Electrical Guru Needed for Kawi Build 26 May 2016 10:22 #728669

• BadMonk
  • User
Two different Clymer Manuals and no joy when it comes to a ignition switch diagram. I' also have a KZ service manual on my PC. It shows the ignition switch for several different KZ 1100s and 1000s, Nothing on point for the '84 ZN. though

I'll keep looking for a little while longer. There's a site selling the Service Manual for the '84 ZN1100. It's good to know it exists. I may have to buy one, esp since the Clymer Manuals prove to not be very thorough. (I have a '81 Suzuki GS850GL that needed the cases split and the Clymer wasn't close for instructions on that procedure. Anyway, I'll look a little more for the switch diagram.) Thanks again.
1984 Kawasaki ZN1100 LTD
2007 Victory Vegas
1981 Suzuki GS850GL

Electrical Guru Needed for Kawi Build 26 May 2016 13:13 #728693

• davido
  • User
  • Thank you received: 286
What about a 1984 GPZ1100? Would Kawasaki not have used the same ignition on that. It might be easier to find a diagram for that,as it was a pretty popular bike.
www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/594313-csr1000-project-build
CB550 (1978)
CB500/4 (1972)*
KZ1000CSR (1981)
XT 600E (1999)
TDM900 (2003)

Electrical Guru Needed for Kawi Build 26 May 2016 14:50 #728707

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend

davido wrote: What about a 1984 GPZ1100? Would Kawasaki not have used the same ignition on that. It might be easier to find a diagram for that,as it was a pretty popular bike.

Maybe. Often the switch will be similar, but the wire colors will be different, so it's hard to say. It's worth a look.

Electrical Guru Needed for Kawi Build 26 May 2016 16:34 #728722

• BadMonk
  • User
I'm searching for it....
1984 Kawasaki ZN1100 LTD
2007 Victory Vegas
1981 Suzuki GS850GL