• Page:

TOPIC:

1982 KZ 1000 LTD 20 May 2016 18:43 #727672

• cobra7777
  • cobra7777's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • 1982 KZ 1000 LTD
  • Thank you received: 0
This is a head scratcher. All fuses are good. My Tach, Fuel Gauge, and Speedo only work when both brakes are pressed. If I sit and let it idle, Tach stays on zero RPM, Fuel gauge doesn't move. But as soon as I press both front and rear brakes, the tach moves, and the Fuel Gauge comes up. Also the neutral Green light comes on. As soon as I release the brakes they all stop working. Not even sure where to start. Tried to find a wiring diagram to see if somehow the brakes could be backfeeding power to gauges but not having much luck. this has got me stumped. And when I am driving, it does randomly start working normal, then stops, then starts..lol Not sure where to start. The 5 fuses under seat are all good. I used a meter and checked for voltage on both sides of fuses. All good. Any ideas anyone? Thanks Russ
Drive it like you stole it! But be careful..

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1982 KZ 1000 LTD 20 May 2016 18:50 #727675

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2621
Bad ground. Black and yellow wire.
Steve
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobra7777

1982 KZ 1000 LTD 21 May 2016 07:04 #727735

• cobra7777
  • User
  • 1982 KZ 1000 LTD

swest wrote: Bad ground. Black and yellow wire.
Steve

Where would that ground be located? I will check it next week when I get home. I would be thrilled if it is something like tha . :- . Thank .

1982 KZ 1000 LTD 21 May 2016 07:37 #727739

• wrenchmonkey
  • User
  • Thank you received: 75
I agree with Steve. The ground wire (the black and yellow wire) is the most likely and common denominator to all the circuits you have mentioned. The black/yellow wire is present throughout the motorcycle harness from rear brake light all the way to front headlamp, however, the most likely point of failure is going to be the multi-pin connector since it's affecting your instrument cluster and all these issues or non-working displays flow through that bigger connector.
I used one of the color wiring diagrams in the FILEBASE section here which is not likely the exact same model since you appear to have a digital display instead of analog tach and speedo:
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobra7777

1982 KZ 1000 LTD 21 May 2016 09:44 #727752

• cobra7777
  • User
  • 1982 KZ 1000 LTD
Both rpm and speedo are needles as well as the fuel gauge is a needle gauge. But the bike has no speedo cabl . The speedo is electronic with a needle. Looks like a normal speedo, just no cable to run it. It works off a signal from somewhere I guess. Must be a sensor in trans output or something along those lines. Will investigate for sure. Thanks guys. If you have any other ideas let me know. Will update next week when I work on it. At work right now. Week on , week off. This is the week on. Grrrr. Lol. Thanks again.

• Page: