Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Ignition switch sits so high? 11 Apr 2016 22:28 #720472

• I_Tig_in_piece
  • I_Tig_in_piece's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 14
Since I've got my KZ apart (again), now's my time to do some changes, additions and revised things I had planned. First thing is the stock ignition switch. The damn thing sits so high up? I'd really like to keep it there cause of the stem lock but it started bugging me after getting my smaller headlight on. So aside from relocating the stock one, has anyone mounted a lower profile switch from a different bike and stil was able to lock it? Hell, does anyone else have the same peeve? lol..thanks in advance KZR!

ed
Cheap labor isn't skilled, skilled labor isn't cheap.
1980 KZ440a. I went green.
If you yourself are building an older bike and can see it through till you're riding it, that's proof you have patience.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Ignition switch sits so high? 12 Apr 2016 04:56 #720481

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1621
Trying to keep the fork lock is probably going to limit what you can do. I think most guys would just forego the lock. form over function. I was thinking a smaller bike might have a smaller ignition switch, but the 305 & 440 look about the same. You could compare the KZ200 or 250, but they might not be much different either. To be sure on anything, measure yours & try to get the same from one or two that look promising. be sure to check the bolt-hole spacing.

The KE100 has a squat ign switch but no fork lock. I mention it because the one from the 80 KE might be kinda neat for the type of thing you're doing. KE100

Last edit: by martin_csr.

Ignition switch sits so high? 12 Apr 2016 08:27 #720511

• GPzMOD750
  • User
  • Thank you received: 148
I don't think there is a direct fit alternative. I was worried about it too but my mods aren't all that radical. Mine seems OK the way it is.

You can get locks that are intended for window security etc. That have retractable stems out the back like the stock or out the side. You could use something like that then relocate the ignition. An extra layer of security having to disable 2 locks instead of one. Check with a locksmith to get a strong, high quality, one. They might even be able to key them the same.

Ignition switch sits so high? 12 Apr 2016 08:58 #720520

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
my buddy, on his 550, lowered the switch by using standoffs to the normal mount. Then you could just tack a new stop onto the head tube for the fork lock. I think you know how to weld, yes? (Just kidding :) . Amazing work! )

It won't be as strong, but the fork lock is more psychological than actual physical barrier.

You can kind of see it in the later photos of his blog:
kz550a.blogspot.com/

This link actually addresses the ignition switch lowering, showing the difference, but before we trimmed the clamp.
kz550a.blogspot.com/search?updated-max=2...-07:00&max-results=7

Last edit: by loudhvx.

Ignition switch sits so high? 25 Apr 2016 14:48 #722918

• I_Tig_in_piece
  • User
thank guys. All great ideas, I actually had the same thought as you GPZ(love your avatar btw)but the thought of having another key on my ring was nipping at me. Went the spacer route and lowered the ignition 2". The lock out tab would just need to be spun 180, but I'm just gonna weld an 1/8" plate that has a slight curve where it's needed. Hopefully I won't burn the VIN sticker just below. I'll post pics in a bit.
If you yourself are building an older bike and can see it through till you're riding it, that's proof you have patience.

Ignition switch sits so high? 25 Apr 2016 18:03 #722941

• GPzMOD750
  • User
  • Thank you received: 148
Wrap wet rags around anything you don't want scorched.

Ignition switch sits so high? 25 Apr 2016 19:18 #722960

• I_Tig_in_piece
  • User
I've learned in the past that Tig'ing and water within close proximity of eachother do not go well together :pinch: So now I've got 18g aluminum sheets of varying sizes that have that aluminized heat shielding material on one side, as well as that heavy itchy fiberglas infused mig welding blanket cut into smaller pieces. Since my bike is down right now, I've got it torn down to the frame so I'm taking this opportunity to address some things cosmetically and change a few others.
Here's how low I've got it now.

How close my VIN sticker(under the green tape) is to what needs to be welded.
Attachments:

• Page: