Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

ignition 15 May 2016 19:15 #726666

• punisher11b
  • User
  • Thank you received: 22
Sounds like your on the right track with it being the pickup coils. Your replacement coils match the resistance values that the old ones were supposed to be? It seems like maybe they are not sensing the magnet correctly? Any cracks in your magnet or anything?
Had a second thought, have you checked to make sure the CDI can ground correctly. On my 305 there is a separate wire that hooks to the battery for the CDI to ground. Could be just my bike , who knows what the PO could have done to it? :lol:
- good luck

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by punisher11b.

ignition 15 May 2016 19:18 #726667

• oldie
  • oldie's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
didnt think so, bike has only 39k on odometer and is in pretty good shape overall for its vintage.

ignition 15 May 2016 19:25 #726670

• punisher11b
  • User
  • Thank you received: 22
It was a long shot, but you never know. Some a hole could have ran it at high RPM to set the rings or something silly. Had a guy that just happened to on here and ruined his magnet. I did add some to my previous comment. I think I was editing when you replied.
- good luck

ignition 20 Mar 2017 10:00 #757222

• oldie
  • User
Hey redhawk4, true nuff found the pickup coild behind gererator siade cover. Actually I replaced it with an aftermarket one purchased at a knowlegable bike shop, still no spark even tried switching the two wires around. Now that being said i had copied the wiring pinout digaram for the igniter module and from that i figured someone may have changed wire cinfigurstion so I removed them carefully from the plastic connector and fiddled with that still no spark. Bike shop said maybe the aligment of the aftermarket pickup coil might not be correct as I seem to recall the one that came out had slightly elongated holes while the aftermarket one did not.I'll have to review that and get back to ya on that. But im thinking still either he orignal pickup coil and or the used igniter module I got online are defective somehow.
Should be a way to check with ohmeter thst pickup coil at least that would rule out that problem thennthe issue would only remain wih the igniter module.That being said the key switch seems a little strange but seems to function and suplly current to coil when in on position and neutral lite is lit. Still baffled but I'm kinda leanin towards the ignitier module being the culprit in the first place.
HELP!!!!! Lol

ignition 20 Mar 2017 10:06 #757223

• oldie
  • User
Yep from what I recall now, been since last summer I was workig on it.

ignition 27 Mar 2019 12:53 #801139

• oldie
  • User
Hi Redhawk, yeah you're right about the pickup coil or trigger coil as it's also referred to. It's been a while since I've had a chance to get back to this little gem.
It's been rattling around in the back of my head since I began asking questions. I ordered online what I thought was a manual that had info on this model but it was the wrong manual and therefore wasn't much use.
I recently began digging into this once again. I think I've ordered an original kawasaki (but reproduction under copy right) manual for this model.
Interestingly enough it seems there was some sort of changeover between year model 1981 to 1982 when they seemed to have changed the ignition somewhat and how exactly I'm not exactly sure but according to my source in obtaining this manual they seemed to think that there was some sort of crossover where the information on ignition was sketchy.
My particular bike year model on VIN sticker on bike shows a 12/81 which on the title/ownership its listed as a 1982, and in brackets under the VIN (KS250M).
On the back of the manual I ordered is listed 1982 KZ250-M1.
My source also seemed to think that in the KL 250 manual which they checked there was one page listing some info on a CDI module but nothing else in the index or table of contents. The manual I got my information to order my copy was from a picture of front and back showing the part number which my local bike shop had in his library. It too didn't list anything about a CDI moduel but had wiring for some 250 models which illustrated in the schematic an "igition unit" not sue if that's considered the CDI module er not, but we're going from there with that once I get the time and receive the manual to start from scratch again.
When I began this adventure I had this schematic from the bike shop manual and was attempting to check stuff and had ordered a used (was stated online sales that it was from a working bike) CDI module. I hooked it up and still no spark, so began asking questions at my local bike shop and was told to check resistance of this pickup coil which i did and ended up buying his replacement installed that still no spark. I then began tracing wiring and CDI pinout and ended up removing wires from plug carefully in an attempt to verify wiring was correct. Srill no spark up to that point and that's where it got left.
I had current to the coils when I began before disturbing anything with the used CDI so...
This time I've ordered a brand new replacement (supposedly for this model bike) and am currently awaiting it's arrival.
I'll begin with a new one this time maybe even replace old pickup coil too, as I'm concerned about the alignment of said replacement coil I was sold no elongated holes for alignment (none with the original either but think it was closer to pickup magnet on stator?
I'm also concerned about the key switch might be the culprit as it doesn't appear damaged in any functional way but it doesn't seem to have a definitive click from off to on but neutral light comes on and current is going to coils.
Hopefully with new CDI module. some research and investigation on reconnecting wires to CDI plug, checking pickup coil again I might get some fire this time around?
Sorry for the book but it's been a while since I've been on and gathering more information on this.

ignition 27 Mar 2019 13:15 #801140

• oldie
  • User
Hey punsher it's been a while since I've been on here and back at this KZ250 issue.
More info.
It's been a while since I've had a chance to get back to this little gem.
It's been rattling around in the back of my head since I began asking questions. I ordered online what I thought was a manual that had info on this model but it was the wrong manual and therefore wasn't much use.
I recently began digging into this once again. I think I've ordered an original kawasaki (but reproduction under copy right) manual for this model.
Interestingly enough it seems there was some sort of changeover between year model 1981 to 1982 when they seemed to have changed the ignition somewhat and how exactly I'm not exactly sure but according to my source in obtaining this manual they seemed to think that there was some sort of crossover where the information on ignition was sketchy.
My particular bike year model on VIN sticker on bike shows a 12/81 which on the title/ownership its listed as a 1982, and in brackets under the VIN (KS250M).
On the back of the manual I ordered is listed 1982 KZ250-M1.
My source also seemed to think that in the KL 250 manual which they checked there was one page listing some info on a CDI module but nothing else in the index or table of contents. The manual I got my information to order my copy was from a picture of front and back showing the part number which my local bike shop had in his library. It too didn't list anything about a CDI moduel but had wiring for some 250 models which illustrated in the schematic an "igition unit" not sue if that's considered the CDI module er not, but we're going from there with that once I get the time and receive the manual to start from scratch again.
When I began this adventure I had this schematic from the bike shop manual and was attempting to check stuff and had ordered a used (was stated online sales that it was from a working bike) CDI module. I hooked it up and still no spark, so began asking questions at my local bike shop and was told to check resistance of this pickup coil which i did and ended up buying his replacement installed that still no spark. I then began tracing wiring and CDI pinout and ended up removing wires from plug carefully in an attempt to verify wiring was correct. Srill no spark up to that point and that's where it got left.
I had current to the coils when I began before disturbing anything with the used CDI so...
This time I've ordered a brand new replacement (supposedly for this model bike) and am currently awaiting it's arrival.
I'll begin with a new one this time maybe even replace old pickup coil too, as I'm concerned about the alignment of said replacement coil I was sold no elongated holes for alignment (none with the original either but think it was closer to pickup magnet on stator?
I'm also concerned about the key switch might be the culprit as it doesn't appear damaged in any functional way but it doesn't seem to have a definitive click from off to on but neutral light comes on and current is going to coils.
Hopefully with new CDI module. some research and investigation on reconnecting wires to CDI plug, checking pickup coil again I might get some fire this time around?
Sorry for the book but it's been a while since I've been on and gathering more information on this.

• Page: