Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

ignition 06 Dec 2015 07:30 #702117

• oldie
  • oldie's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Hi all wih out a manual just wanting to know what and where it the triggering mechanism for the spark on a 1982 kz250. I have a cdi/ignition module and a coil and a voltage regulator, but where or what triggers the voltage for the coil to cause the spark. There must be some sort of sensor pick
and rotor. Don't know where this may be unless it's all electronic but still should have some sort of sensor triggerinig mechanisim. I have voltage at both sides of coil as well as red and yellow terminals of the ignition module but still no spark. I also have apparently a faulty soLenoid as I have to short it out across battery terminals to get it to crank but that's another problem, as he starter button doesn't crank the motor.
Suggestions would be of some help.
Thanks.☺☺

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

ignition 06 Dec 2015 10:14 #702137

• redhawk4
  • User
  • Thank you received: 64
I know virtually nothing about KZ250's, but the points or ignition igniter, if electronic ignition, should be on the end of the camshaft behind the big round cover cover on the LHS of the bike at the top of the cylinder head. (left, as if you are sitting on the bike,)
1978 KZ1000A2 Wiseco 1075 kit
1977 KZ650B1
1973 Triumph Tiger TR7V
1968 BSA Victor Special 441
2015 Triumph Thunderbird LT
1980 Suzuki SP400

Old enough to know better, still too young to care

Last edit: by redhawk4.

ignition 07 Dec 2015 04:29 #702238

• oldie
  • User
Thanks redhawk, I thought that might be where it was too but apparently it's not. I removed hat cover and it's the access port for the camshaft sprocket only nothing more. So I'm still in the dark as to where it would be. There has to be something such as a sensor something to fire the ignition module to energize the coil etc, but I can't find any hung as yet. I know nothing about this little beastie either. I'm looking for a reasonably priced manual now also.

Last edit: by oldie. Reason: typo

ignition 07 Dec 2015 06:13 #702260

• redhawk4
  • User
  • Thank you received: 64
I'm certain the points were there on the older model, but it looks like the electronic ignition version picks up a signal down where the generator is mounted from looking at the parts diagrams, but there really is very little information about these bikes on the internet. I think it works, with a flywheel pick-up that sends a signal to an igniter unit, the, the igniter unit then uses the engine speed to calculate the timing and tells the coil to fire at the appropriate moment. If you look where the generator is, I think you should be able to see some sort of pickup. I think it's called a "pulsing coil" in the parts book and is part number 59026.

Attachment pulser.png not found

Link to page with parts description: www.partzilla.com/parts/search/Kawasaki/...REGULATOR/parts.html

1978 KZ1000A2 Wiseco 1075 kit
1977 KZ650B1
1973 Triumph Tiger TR7V
1968 BSA Victor Special 441
2015 Triumph Thunderbird LT
1980 Suzuki SP400

Old enough to know better, still too young to care
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

Last edit: by redhawk4.

ignition 02 Jan 2016 12:11 #705313

• oldie
  • User
Thanks Redhawk forntne reply. Yes it seems there is very little online about this particluar model. I asked at local bike shop and was told to look for pickup at alternator coil side cover. Just have to determine why no spark whether pickup coil not sending signal, ignitier which was replaced with a supposed working one from used bike purchased online or something else. I have an issue wih starter sloenoid currently so have to bypass it to get starter motor to crank bjt I'll fix that once i know i have spark.

ignition 21 Feb 2016 19:55 #711895

• oldie
  • User
Thanks formthe info redhawk. i'll check iinto that as soon as the cold weather abates. I did obtain a manual online however it was for the older model with the stanadard ignition not my model with the electronic ignition, so isn't much good to me in that particular area. I still have to replace the starter solenoid, and get the horn button to work. I still also have to check why I don't have spark.

ignition 22 Feb 2016 05:37 #711920

• TexasKZ
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2067
Search for some posts by MFolks. He has posted some useful electrical system diagnostics and general maintenance. They may even be in the file base.
1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough
The following user(s) said Thank You: oldie

ignition 14 May 2016 10:14 #726385

• oldie
  • User
Thanks Texas KZ, well found some problems but now created some new ones.
I replaced the suspected cdi module sith a supposed used working one, still no spark, checked pulser pickup coil in left side cover (found open circuit there so replaced that), still no spark, investigated wiring diagram for cdi connector found potential differences there still trying to decipher wiring pin out versus correct wires to conndct to proper pins on cdi.
Still puzzled ogher than either the ignition coil is no good and or usec cdi module no good either.?

ignition 15 May 2016 17:30 #726635

• oldie
  • User
Hi Redhawk4 well apparently the pickup or pulser coil on this particular model is sorta where you mentioned but not at the top of the cylinder head but in the left side cover itself mounted inside the cover. I replaced this with an aftermarket one from a local bike shop and found potentially the wired in the cdi plug connector reversed so swapped them around and still no spark

ignition 15 May 2016 17:33 #726637

• oldie
  • User
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationSimilar to the one in this link.

ignition 15 May 2016 17:51 #726643

• punisher11b
  • User
  • Thank you received: 22
are you getting 12v to your cdi and coils?
- good luck

ignition 15 May 2016 18:01 #726645

• oldie
  • User
Hi punisher11b, yes sort of I measured 11.78v on each side of coil and something like that at the CDI but need a wiring diagram to ensure which wires to test there. I seem to recall yellow w orange is one.
I first found that this bike wasn't getting the required 500 or so ohm reading from the pickup/pulser coil connections.
So I got an aftermarked replacement and installed it. Then from a diagram made relating to the pinout of the CDI I drew an existing wiring connection to illustrate color of wires in each place. Owner and mechanic of local bike shop seemed to think the pickup connections as well as the +ve and -ve connections of the coil were reversed. So I carefully removed the connections (saftey pin works well) and connected them loose out of the plastic connector to see if that made any difference. NADA??
I'm stumped. everything works on this bike so far except spark, horn and starter solenoid which I'm currently bypassing for now. I haven't actually had this bike running yet need spark first then I can add fuel later? Lol

• Page: