Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Kz750e No spark, trouble building the gm hei mod 28 Nov 2015 09:01 #700940

• VegasRob
  • VegasRob's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • 81 Kz750
  • Thank you received: 0
Nice! I was wondering how that went. Good pic.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Kz750e No spark, trouble building the gm hei mod 28 Nov 2015 09:01 #700941

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2829
Make sure you have a small round insulator where shown in reply above or the little bolts will ground on the metal adjuster. Ed
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

Kz750e No spark, trouble building the gm hei mod 28 Nov 2015 09:41 #700947

• VegasRob
  • User
  • 81 Kz750
Spark restored to number 1 and 4 cylinders. I probably have a faulty coil on the other side. I'm still going to need to find some insulators to fix the points correctly but it's working now for further testing. I'm not hitting the road any time soon. Beyond the spark issue, I still need to tackle some carb jetting and tuning plus a variety of cosmetic and lighting stuff.
Now that I have spark out of two cylinders I can probably ditch this gm hei stuff for the time being. How do I determine if my problem is in the coil vs the condenser?

Kz750e No spark, trouble building the gm hei mod 28 Nov 2015 09:57 #700948

• VegasRob
  • User
  • 81 Kz750
Spark restored to number 1 and 4 cylinders. I probably have a faulty coil on the other side. I'm still going to need to find some insulators to fix the points correctly but it's working now for further testing. I'm not hitting the road any time soon. Beyond the spark issue, I still need to tackle some carb jetting and tuning plus a variety of cosmetic and lighting stuff.
Now that I have spark out of two cylinders I can probably ditch this gm hei stuff for the time being. How do I determine if my problem is in the coil vs the condenser?

Kz750e No spark, trouble building the gm hei mod 28 Nov 2015 10:48 #700953

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2621
Switch the leads in and out of the coils and see if the fault moves with it. If there is sparking at that set of points, they are dirty or the condenser is bad. Do you want me to delete the duplicate post?
Steve

Kz750e No spark, trouble building the gm hei mod 28 Nov 2015 10:59 #700955

• VegasRob
  • User
  • 81 Kz750
I wasn't sure how to delete the duplicate post, I'll get the hang of it soon hopefully. It didn't even dawn on me to swap the leads. Thank you for the help. I'm going to give that a try as soon as I get back to the house. I found a spare coil that the guy I bought the bike from left in a spare parts goody box he was nice enough to give me with the bike. The spark plug wire caps are a diferently size but looks good otherwise.

Kz750e No spark, trouble building the gm hei mod 28 Nov 2015 13:06 #700968

• bountyhunter
  • User
  • Thank you received: 337

VegasRob wrote: The points spring is define try grounded. After taking a closer look it appears that one of the insulating washers is missing from one side although both springs read continuity to ground when the point is open.

That's why no spark. Hope you get it running.
1979 KZ-750 Twin

Last edit: by bountyhunter.

Kz750e No spark, trouble building the gm hei mod 28 Nov 2015 13:09 #700969

• bountyhunter
  • User
  • Thank you received: 337

VegasRob wrote: I wasn't sure how to delete the duplicate post, I'll get the hang of it soon hopefully. It didn't even dawn on me to swap the leads. Thank you for the help. I'm going to give that a try as soon as I get back to the house. I found a spare coil that the guy I bought the bike from left in a spare parts goody box

Are the coils original?

Some of us learned the hard way that old coils need to be dropped in the can. Source of perpetual misery......
1979 KZ-750 Twin

Kz750e No spark, trouble building the gm hei mod 28 Nov 2015 13:40 #700971

• VegasRob
  • User
  • 81 Kz750
If/when I replace the coils, any sugestions on a quality replacement.

Kz750e No spark, trouble building the gm hei mod 29 Nov 2015 03:43 #701028

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1622
The K&L catalogue lists a KZ/GS ignition coil for points ignition. #20-8450. 90 mm center-to-center stud mount.
Emgo also has coils for points w the same stud spacing. Z1Enterprises.com.

Last edit: by martin_csr.

Kz750e No spark, trouble building the gm hei mod 29 Nov 2015 06:17 #701056

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2621
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationWas looking at aftermarket coils but the reviews here made me rethink that. I was watching a few Dyna coil setups on eBay. I put in a bid knowing I would be out bid. Everyone was dog piling that one. There was a set I was watching no one seemed to be interested in. I set my highest bid 20 minutes before the end. GOT EM, $63. Bidding got tight there and I wasn't going to spend more that 1/2 of what's new. I got them for 1/3 with the whole package. The seller even discounted the shipping. Like new and that mysterious miss is gone. :woohoo:

Steve
Attachments:

Last edit: by SWest.

Kz750e No spark, trouble building the gm hei mod 29 Nov 2015 10:14 #701092

• VegasRob
  • User
  • 81 Kz750
Well I installed the spare coil that I had. But even after checking the resistance before I installed it, I'm getting constant ground at the signal terminal after it's mounted. Guess I'm in the market for some new ignition coils. The k&l coils look like the affordable option. I can't find any reviews on them or any resistance information and it's a bit odd how the spark plug wires are permanently attached. Has anyone had experience with these? I'm a cheep skate so these are very tempting. I don't think I'm the lucky type that can come up on a pair of dyna 3 ohm greens for $65. When replacing a bad coil is it a good idea or a necessity to replace as a pair if you're not using the same part?
On a side note, I found a nice little rubber grommet that makes for a better insulator than the cork I was using for my point grounding problem. Thank you, everyone that has taken the time to help me.