Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

KZP Harness Swap 29 Aug 2015 10:40 #687617

• mikejespinosa
  • mikejespinosa's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hey guys, need your experience.I'm doing a custom rebuild on a 95 KZP. The original wiring harness is torn up from several splice jobs and plug ends are brittle from heat. From what I've read my motor should be the same as the KZ1000 CSR. I don't need any of the cop stuff for my build so my question is, If I change my hand controls and ignition switch, I can swap a CSR Main harness to my KZP? If not are their any other models that I can do this with? Any info is greatly appreciated.

The bike is completely stripped down so its no problem pulling it out and slapping in the new one. I will post some pics soon as I start putting this bad boy together.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

KZP Harness Swap 29 Aug 2015 15:08 #687663

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2621
You might be able to salvage what you have. the connectors are available at Z1E last time I looked.
Steve

KZP Harness Swap 29 Aug 2015 19:16 #687736

• mikejespinosa
  • mikejespinosa's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Thanks Swest. I'll checkem out

KZP Harness Swap 02 Nov 2015 19:08 #696965

• Copbike1000
  • User
  • Thank you received: 8
Mike,
I have a 1994 KZP. I have done a complete rebuild on my bike. I removed all the cop stuff and I had the same dilemma you are faced with on the master wiring harness. The original KZP harness was a mess, as you said...with splices all over the place, and the biggest kicker was wiring that was not color matched from the harness to accessories, controls etc. I ended up removing all of the electrical tape from the harness and traced all the wires, one by one end to end. I also removed the cumbersome ( ugly ) controls and replaced with standard KZ900/1000 controls. I also removed the brittle connectors and replaced with new Molex connectors. I was cross-eyed by the time I was done with the rewiring and reading a schematic for what seemed to be weeks, to complete electrical.
All said and done, well worth the labor and commitment to getting it all completed. I did consider swapping out the original KZP harness for a KZ900/1000 harness but I decided to give the original harness a try. All is good. Have fun building that Bad Boy!!!
1994 Kawasaki KZ1000P, Rancho Cordova, Ca
www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/598384...-project-bike#674472

• Page: