Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Points to electronic ignition 29 Jan 2015 00:05 #660019

• skooterbum4real
  • skooterbum4real's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 6
I'm going to be replacing the points ignition on my 78 kz650, with the electronic ignition from my 82 kz650 parts bike.

The stators are different. The 78 is a two wire stator, and the 82 is a three wire stator. Also the flywheels have different part numbers.

What do I do with the third stator wire from the 82 ?? Am I going to be able to use the 78 flywheel, or will I have to swap it out with the 82 ??

Any help will be appreciated !!

Attachment 78kz650.jpg not found

Attachment 82kz650.jpg not found

1978 KZ650B 8,500 miles
1976 KZ750 Twin
SPECIAL CONSTRUCTION V-TWIN CHOP
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Points to electronic ignition 29 Jan 2015 03:51 #660020

• ed spangler
  • User
  • Tennessee Z
  • Thank you received: 29
I would ask 650ED
I bet he knows the answer.
Have 1975 Kawasaki Z1-B & 2003 Harley Davidson Heritage Softail Classic
Had Hondas, Harleys and many ,many Z Series Kaws both Std. & LTD's

Points to electronic ignition 29 Jan 2015 03:56 #660021

• zed1015
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1468
Why swap the generators ???
They have nothing to do with the ignition apart from charging the battery.
AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

Points to electronic ignition 29 Jan 2015 05:10 #660022

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2829

zed1015 wrote: Why swap the generators ???
They have nothing to do with the ignition apart from charging the battery.

+1 What exactly are you trying to accomplish? Ed
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

Points to electronic ignition 29 Jan 2015 06:44 #660025

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1621
Is the 82 charging system superior to the 78's? I don't know what type the 78 has, but the 82 has a permanent magnet 3-phase alternator. A voltage regulator/rectifier from a late model Ninja 500 or Vulcan 500 can be used w the 82 charging system (not sure about the 80 & earlier 650s).

Edit: see later replies by Patton. The taper on the crankshaft end might be different, so the 82 rotor may not fit right & you may not be able to use the 82 charging system on the 78.

Last edit: by martin_csr.

Points to electronic ignition 29 Jan 2015 12:06 #660052

• skooterbum4real
  • User
OK, I got the cart before the horse again........

I believe I read, that when doing the point to electronic ignition conversion, that the stator needs to be taken into consideration as well. I believe I read that if the stator on the donor bike is a three wire stator, that the project bike needs to have a three wire stator in it. This is why I made my original post asking about the stators, and then the flywheels. No I have no reason to be swapping out the charging systems between the two bikes, I just meant for the post to be asking about the two wire and three wire stators, because of what I've read........

Maybe I need to re-read my posts before submitting them to the forum...LOL
1978 KZ650B 8,500 miles
1976 KZ750 Twin

Points to electronic ignition 29 Jan 2015 13:42 #660060

• Tyrell Corp
  • User
  • "You were made as well as we could make you"
  • Thank you received: 260
Later kz fours were 3 phase, earlier two phase. Count three yellow wires to confirm the later 3 phase.

Your charging system type is irrelevant as far as your ingnition choices, I suspect your advice is based upon getting a later wiring loom with the electronic ignition already wired in?
1980 Gpz550 D1, 1981 GPz550 D1. 1982 GPz750R1. 1983 z1000R R2. all four aces

Points to electronic ignition 29 Jan 2015 13:57 #660063

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2829
Kawasaki couldn't seem to make up it's mind on what charging system to use on the KZ650. The first models (KZ650-B1 & C1) used 3-phase excited field alternators; then they switched to 2-phase alternators; then back to 3-phase - but not the excited field type. I don't know why they didn't stay with the first type as it seems to be very reliable. Ed
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

Points to electronic ignition 29 Jan 2015 19:05 #660092

• bountyhunter
  • User
  • Thank you received: 337

skooterbum4real wrote: OK, I got the cart before the horse again........

I believe I read, that when doing the point to electronic ignition conversion, that the stator needs to be taken into consideration as well.

It's possible they thought that the added electronic ignition put more load on the electrical system? That might explain why somebody wants to upgrade to the 3 phase system. I remember when some bikes went to EFI (electronic fuel injection) they had to go to alternators with about 10% more output to drive it.
1979 KZ-750 Twin

Points to electronic ignition 29 Jan 2015 19:10 #660094

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2621
If I had the choice, I'd go with the three wire system, loom and everything else or forget it.
Steve

Points to electronic ignition 30 Jan 2015 00:15 #660104

• skooterbum4real
  • User
Not sure, but there seems to be some question about the donor parts I have on hand. I purchased a cosmetically butchered 82 kz650 H2 CSR. It was a running ride able bike when I purchased it. It's missing turn sigs, speedo, stuff like that. Previous owners version of a Bobber. It has all of the electronic ignition components. All charging components, butchered wire loom.

The 78 I have is a complete bike. I'm making it into a, what a lot of people would call, a bar hopper. Something reliable that I can hop onto to run around town with. I have the parts from the donor to swap out the entire charging system, electronic ignition system, wire loom, (what's left of it), and anything else needed to convert the bike to the electronic ignition.

I am hoping that I can be somewhat lead through this conversion. I'm trying to read up on this conversion and learn a little bit, before I come here asking my questions. I assumed that it's an advantage to me if I do this ??

Other forums I've been to with my other bike, when trying to build it, they had this belief. If I didn't try to help myself first, they wouldn't help me.

I think my 78 is the B2, so it must be the two phase alternator ?? Will this alternator be compatible with the electronic ignition, or will I have to swap it out ??

Thanks everyone !!
1978 KZ650B 8,500 miles
1976 KZ750 Twin

Points to electronic ignition 30 Jan 2015 06:05 #660111

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1621
I don't think you have to swap charging systems. It is separate from the ignition system & it keeps the battery charged so that the battery can supply power to the coils. Edit: As for doing the swap, see later replies by Patton in regards to fitment of the 82 rotor onto the 78.

The battery needs to be good & fully charged before installing it on the bike. If the battery has discharged from sitting too long, it should be re-charged w a motorcycle charger. I think of the bike's charging system as a maintainer (not a charger) to keep a good battery fully charged.

If the battery won't hold a charge, replace it. When troubleshooting the charging system & ignition system, the first thing you should do is make sure the battery is good. The bike won't run right if it is weak or bad. A digital multimeter is a handy tool. Use a good charger.
I have a VC97 meter & a Ctek US 0.8 charger.

KZ650.Info --- Wiring diagrams KZ650wiringdiagrams

Last edit: by martin_csr.