Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

In line fuses 26 Sep 2014 07:30 #648872

• zero10
  • User
  • Thank you received: 6

saxjonz wrote: Edit----And forgive me for not knowing but what awg will I need to order as there are two different sizes listed for the wiring which is why I didn't order last night.

I was just looking at these last night but didn't know what gauge wires to run and here I see you reused the stock wires. Cool, so I am going to order up one right now. I wanted the four fuse holder but didn't see that option. You know the gps and cell phone charger is a very necessary part of riding long distances I would say.

I ordered the fuse box with 12-14awg terminals as well as a couple spare pins and seals in 10-12 awg and 12-14awg just so I would have the correct pins on hand. The stock wire sizes are metric (in mm^2) so I wasn't totally sure what size would be appropriate, plus I wanted a couple spares in case I screwed up crimping a time or two. Looking at what I have left over I used 10-12 awg terminals for the white + white/red wires and 12-14 for the other 2 circuits in the main fuse box.

Cycle terminal has a section for fuse boxes and in there they list both the 3 and 4 position fuse boxes, the 4 position box is right underneath the 3 position box on this page: www.cycleterminal.com/fuse-boxes.html

The 4 isn't much more money and it lets you put all of the stock bike fuses in one place. If you want to add extra circuits I would suggest buying a second 4 position fuse box with the long cover so you can install relays in it, then trigger the relays from the ignition circuit to control power directly from the battery. The stock ignition switch is already pretty highly loaded in my opinion and I'd avoid running any more current than is strictly necessary through it.

For what it's worth I found the terminals difficult to seat all the way down. I had to insert a very narrow flat blade screwdriver from the other end of the fuse box into where the fuse sits in the terminal and twist them back and forth to coax them fully into position until they clicked. Until that point they could be pulled out backwards which is obviously bad. They tended to go in just a couple degrees crooked and don't latch on their own.
-

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by zero10.

Re:In line fuses 28 Sep 2014 21:01 #649084

• saxjonz
  • User
  • KawboyZ
  • Thank you received: 75
Zero, that was quite informative. Thanks.
79 LTD B3
80 LTD B4 1075 kit JE Pistons .410 cam grind, Bassani, 31 keihin CR Specials...
1980 Z1R, 2002 ZRX1200, 2003 ZRX1200

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page: