Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

In line fuses 24 Aug 2014 18:02 #645024

• Lazyman06
  • Lazyman06's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
Would it be wise to run inline fuses, instead of a fuse box?
1979 KZ1000 MK II frame
1980 KZ1000 C3 police engine

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

In line fuses 24 Aug 2014 18:53 #645031

• saxjonz
  • User
  • KawboyZ
  • Thank you received: 75
If you wire it up right it's not a problem. Or you can go to automotive parts store and get an actual fusebox and if you have basic skills you can run the wires and make a more permanent fusebox. I think either option should work much better than the stock blade fuses.
Hope that helps.
79 LTD B3
80 LTD B4 1075 kit JE Pistons .410 cam grind, Bassani, 31 keihin CR Specials...
1980 Z1R, 2002 ZRX1200, 2003 ZRX1200

In line fuses 25 Aug 2014 01:33 #645046

• bountyhunter
  • User
  • Thank you received: 337
In my dinosaur years doing electricals.... I have seen a lot more inline fuse holders give problems than fuse boxes. The inline use a spring and often a less than good mechanical connect whereas the boxes have very strong clamping action on the tube fuse. I have also seen inline fuse holders crack.

I think the modern fuses/boxes are a step up from either inlines or the old tube style, just my opinion. Might be worth it to install a modern fuse box. The modern fuses seem to have a lot better reliability than tube style fuses.
1979 KZ-750 Twin

In line fuses 25 Aug 2014 06:08 #645053

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2828
The fuse box makes it easier to check fuses in that they are all in one place, and you don't need to find and fiddle with several inline holders. I installed several inline holders on my truck for relays and lights when putting on auxiliary lighting. Some are so neatly tucked away that I'll never be able to find them if I need to. :laugh: :laugh: Ed
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

In line fuses 25 Aug 2014 07:55 #645061

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
I use the blade type inline fuses. They come in a weather-proof holder which is nice protection. They don't suffer the issues the glass-tube fuses do.
The following user(s) said Thank You: saxjonz

In line fuses 24 Sep 2014 16:43 #648667

• saxjonz
  • User
  • KawboyZ
Were you referring to the old inline tube fuses? I can't figure out for the life of me where springs would be elsewise.

bountyhunter wrote: In my dinosaur years doing electricals.... I have seen a lot more inline fuse holders give problems than fuse boxes. The inline use a spring and often a less than good mechanical connect whereas the boxes have very strong clamping action on the tube fuse. I have also seen inline fuse holders crack.

I think the modern fuses/boxes are a step up from either inlines or the old tube style, just my opinion. Might be worth it to install a modern fuse box. The modern fuses seem to have a lot better reliability than tube style fuses.

79 LTD B3

In line fuses 24 Sep 2014 17:33 #648678

• KZBrett
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
If you do run in-line fuses you're going to have to track down those fuses later....
2006 CBR800RR
1981 KZ750 LTD H2

In line fuses 24 Sep 2014 18:15 #648681

• koolaid_kid
  • User
  • Thank you received: 99
There is nothing wrong with in-line fuses done correctly, except that you will have to route them correctly and remember which one goes to what (label them with a label gun). I used an aftermarket fuse box from BlueSea that worked excellently, and located all the fuses in one spot.
1983 GPz 750
810 Wiseco, Kerker, K&N, DynoJet S3, Accel, Progressive, etc.

In line fuses 24 Sep 2014 18:18 #648683

• Tyrell Corp
  • User
  • "You were made as well as we could make you"
  • Thank you received: 260
z1000 mk2 fuse boxes can be problematic, a modern ugrade to blades is an option.

Vibration is the killer on bikes so an enclosed fusebox and properly secured harness would be preferable to inline fuse holders .
1980 Gpz550 D1, 1981 GPz550 D1. 1982 GPz750R1. 1983 z1000R R2. all four aces

In line fuses 25 Sep 2014 07:50 #648753

• zero10
  • User
  • Thank you received: 6
I just replaced the stock failing fuse box on my 82 KZ750H with a metripack unit from cycle terminal. Way less voltage drop with the new setup compared to the old, it uses easily avialable ATM fuses and it is reasonably well weatherproofed so I don't expect it to ever have a corrosion problem. The only hard part about it was finding a crimper around my office that did a decent job on the pins. It is literally a 10 minute job and it only cost $21 including shipping to Canada. This kept all the fuses in one place and with a little bend of the stock fuse box bracket the new fuse box is held reasonably securely in the original location. My original fuse box was dropping nearly 0.8V and the connectors were getting hot enough to melt the plastic even after cleaning and re-bending them.

Just don't do what I did - get the 4 position box instead of the 3, on my bike there was a second smaller fuse box tucked away behind the 3 position one that I didn't see until after my order had shipped.
-
Attachments:

In line fuses 25 Sep 2014 14:13 #648811

• inline79
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4
+1 to this solution. blade fuses all the way. They also hold up better under vibration as they are a single piece rather than the glass fuses which have caps soldered on.

In line fuses 25 Sep 2014 16:47 #648830

• saxjonz
  • User
  • KawboyZ
Edit----And forgive me for not knowing but what awg will I need to order as there are two different sizes listed for the wiring which is why I didn't order last night.
I was just looking at these last night but didn't know what gauge wires to run and here I see you reused the stock wires. Cool, so I am going to order up one right now. I wanted the four fuse holder but didn't see that option. You know the gps and cell phone charger is a very necessary part of riding long distances I would say.

zero10 wrote: I just replaced the stock failing fuse box on my 82 KZ750H with a metripack unit from cycle terminal. Way less voltage drop with the new setup compared to the old, it uses easily avialable ATM fuses and it is reasonably well weatherproofed so I don't expect it to ever have a corrosion problem. The only hard part about it was finding a crimper around my office that did a decent job on the pins. It is literally a 10 minute job and it only cost $21 including shipping to Canada. This kept all the fuses in one place and with a little bend of the stock fuse box bracket the new fuse box is held reasonably securely in the original location. My original fuse box was dropping nearly 0.8V and the connectors were getting hot enough to melt the plastic even after cleaning and re-bending them.

Just don't do what I did - get the 4 position box instead of the 3, on my bike there was a second smaller fuse box tucked away behind the 3 position one that I didn't see until after my order had shipped.

79 LTD B3

Last edit: by saxjonz. Reason: added
  • Page: