• Page:

TOPIC:

Ignition Switch Connector 14 Jul 2014 04:15 #640000

• kzdcw
  • kzdcw's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • 77' KZ1000A
  • Thank you received: 13
Guys, I thought about this last night and this morning I looked at a wiring diagram KZ900 A4/A5 off the Forum's Filebase. I believe this is a KZ900 wiring harnses on my bike? Even though my bike was built in 3/77 it has a 1015cc motor and the Pink Slip/Registration shows that it's a 77' with matching Frame and Engine #'s. WHAT'S GOING ON ???
77' KZ1000A

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Ignition Switch Connector 14 Jul 2014 06:05 #640011

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
Sounds like you have a harness from a '79 KZ1000B3 Ltd. It has 7 wires to the ignition switch. It has the 6 wires you describe on the 6P connector, but there should also be a single brown wire that connects through a single connector. Since the '79 Ltd was likely built in 1978, that is probably why the seller assumed it was from a '78.

If you can only get 77/78 6P ignition switch, you will have to modify the harness wiring, to get them to work properly with each other.

You have to locate the single brown wire that went to the ignition switch. It should be near the 6p connector. Then Y-splice that brown wire to the yellow wire of the 6p connector. Before plugging the new 6p switch in, make sure all of the colors line up, and that the brwon wire on the switch lines up with the yellow wire of the harness (which is also spliced to the brown wire of the harness).

Last edit: by loudhvx.

Ignition Switch Connector 14 Jul 2014 16:20 #640083

• kzdcw
  • User
  • 77' KZ1000A
The harness which I'm thinking your making reference to,is the one I purchased from ebay. It has a 6-pin connector which has a yellow lead as I said in the earlier post. There is a single brown lead with a male bullet connector that is close to the 6-pin connector at the end of the harness? But the biggest question is, can I use this harness on my bike? The ignition 6-pin connector on the harness is a male end but measures a little over an inch in length and almost half an inch is width? Larger than other 6-pin connectors that I have seen.

The other option I would really like to opt for the most is using the existing harness on the bike which I'm relatively sure it's a 77' KZ900 harness ( looking at the wiring diagram on the forum ) as said earlier in my post. Like I described , there are 5 CUT WIRES not knowing where they are going? I just found it strange why a late model KZ900 harness would be on an early model KZ1000?
77' KZ1000A

Ignition Switch Connector 14 Jul 2014 20:21 #640102

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 2098
This link enables download of the KZ900 wiring diagram (4-pin connector) in the FILEBASE:
www.kzrider.com/filebase/search/finish/1...00-a4-wiring-diagram

Good Fortune! :)
1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

Ignition Switch Connector 15 Jul 2014 08:03 #640136

• kzdcw
  • User
  • 77' KZ1000A
Patton, Definitely have a KZ900 wiring harness in my 77' KZ1000. Looking for a good harness, does anyone have one? Mine is really mangled up pretty bad. As a couple of posts prior on the this section asked for, I too could benefit from pictures of a harness to help me identify what's going on or where things go to.
77' KZ1000A

• Page: