Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

possible blown coil again???!!!!! 15 Apr 2014 16:31 #629152

• drfantastik
  • drfantastik's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Anyone have an idea why I might have blown a coil (1/4) for the second time? I have a '77 kz650C1 with dyna s and the coil mod. That all ran great for about 2 yrs then I blew a coil, replaced it, seemed to be good and now that im trying to get ready for the new season im getting no spark on 1 or 4 again. Im not positive its blown but im not sure what else could've gone out that would only affect one coil. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
\'77 KZ650C
Harrisburg, PA

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Patton.

possible blown coil again???!!!!! 15 Apr 2014 17:01 #629158

• dkoz
  • User
  • Thank you received: 17
Are you sure its not the dyna s
Mine went bad it was tricky trouble shooting it though because it would work periodically. work one hour and then wouldn't work for a day. try switching the main coil wires around ( not plug wires). and see if 2 and 3 stop foreign..
1978 LTD B2 smashed
1978 Z1R D1
1978 A2

possible blown coil again???!!!!! 15 Apr 2014 17:07 #629159

• dkoz
  • User
  • Thank you received: 17
If you have the old coil test it with an ohm meter.take it to Autozone if you dont have a meter.I do all this with my phone and I'm not computer savvy the guys like Patton and its 650ed have sent me instructions on how to do the test try a search.or I'm sure they will read here and chin in.they got me up and running
1978 LTD B2 smashed
1978 Z1R D1
1978 A2

possible blown coil again???!!!!! 15 Apr 2014 19:14 #629180

• LarryC
  • User
  • Thank you received: 309
WTF...people are still doing that stupid coil mod :blink:
Larry C.

possible blown coil again???!!!!! 16 Apr 2014 09:14 #629217

• martin_csr
  • Away
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1622
Is there a reason why you wouldn't want to do it? I thought the purpose of the coil relay mod was to get full battery voltage to the coils?

possible blown coil again???!!!!! 16 Apr 2014 14:33 #629244

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 2098

drfantastik wrote: Anyone have an idea why I might have blown a coil (1/4) for the second time? I have a '77 kz650C1 with dyna s and the coil mod. That all ran great for about 2 yrs then I blew a coil, replaced it, seemed to be good and now that im trying to get ready for the new season im getting no spark on 1 or 4 again. Im not positive its blown but im not sure what else could've gone out that would only affect one coil. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Besides a mal-functioning ignition coil, there are several other possible causes for lack of spark on #1 and #4 plugs.

Would begin the diagnosis by using a volt-meter to confirm existence of full battery+ voltage at the dual connector (shown below) with the ignition switch ON.

Good Fortune! :)
1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:

Last edit: by Patton.

possible blown coil again???!!!!! 17 Apr 2014 16:43 #629441

• bountyhunter
  • User
  • Thank you received: 337

drfantastik wrote: Anyone have an idea why I might have blown a coil (1/4) for the second time? I have a '77 kz650C1 with dyna s and the coil mod. That all ran great for about 2 yrs then I blew a coil, replaced it, seemed to be good and now that im trying to get ready for the new season im getting no spark on 1 or 4 again. Im not positive its blown but im not sure what else could've gone out that would only affect one coil. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Couldn't count how many threads I have seen where one side of a Dyna blew out. Try switching the coils and see if the spark follows the coil or stays on the same side.
1979 KZ-750 Twin

possible blown coil again???!!!!! 17 Apr 2014 16:46 #629442

• bountyhunter
  • User

martin_csr wrote: Is there a reason why you wouldn't want to do it? I thought the purpose of the coil relay mod was to get full battery voltage to the coils?

Some of us think it's a solution in search of a problem. If the voltage is low at the coil, the problem is a bad ignition switch, fuse connection, harness connection, etc.

In my life I have replaced so many blown or seized relays, I refuse to put them in line with any device I really want to keep working.... especially if there is no compelling reason to.
1979 KZ-750 Twin
The following user(s) said Thank You: 650ed

possible blown coil again???!!!!! 19 Apr 2014 11:53 #629605

• drfantastik
  • User
First thanks for the responses. So... I have ruled out the coil and I have good voltage to both coils. When I switched the wires on the coils I got the other coil to spark on 1 and 4. So im fairly sure that one side [1/4] of the dyna went bad. So unless someone thinks it may be something else, im going to have to replace it :(
\'77 KZ650C
Harrisburg, PA

possible blown coil again???!!!!! 19 Apr 2014 12:48 #629612

• bountyhunter
  • User

drfantastik wrote: First thanks for the responses. So... I have ruled out the coil and I have good voltage to both coils. When I switched the wires on the coils I got the other coil to spark on 1 and 4. So im fairly sure that one side [1/4] of the dyna went bad. So unless someone thinks it may be something else, im going to have to replace it :(

Add this to the "dead Dyna" pile.

From what I read, the factory Kawi electronic ignitions are more durable if you can get one.
1979 KZ-750 Twin
The following user(s) said Thank You: 650ed

possible blown coil again???!!!!! 20 Apr 2014 17:02 #629760

• drfantastik
  • User
Ok, so next question. Could a problem with the regulator/rectifier have blown the module or would it most likely have been an isolated problem? Just wondering, if I replace the module will this be the end or should I look at replacing the regulator/rectifier as well
\'77 KZ650C
Harrisburg, PA

possible blown coil again???!!!!! 20 Apr 2014 17:18 #629767

• bountyhunter
  • User

drfantastik wrote: Ok, so next question. Could a problem with the regulator/rectifier have blown the module or would it most likely have been an isolated problem? Just wondering, if I replace the module will this be the end or should I look at replacing the regulator/rectifier as well

Depends on the circuitry. Excessive system voltage may very well have killed it..... killed my CDI one time.
1979 KZ-750 Twin

• Page: