Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Regulator rectifier wiring 07 Jun 2011 20:35 #455998

• skidooman
  • skidooman's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
So looking over the Diagram from Patton.. and the regulator only has 4 wires. The one on my bike has 5. A red and white, two yellows, a black, and a brown. Honestly i'm not sure what model the bike is. The motor I know is a KZ750, Only because it is stamped on it KZ750BE-060095 To be exact. Its kind of a Frankenstein bike. Its titled as a Yamaha XJ7, I was told that one of the original owners fabricated a yamaha front end on to a KZ750. So yeah a little complicating. The bikes wiring is kind of a hack job but i'm getting to the point of some clarity The only issue now is the regulator rectifier. I was under the impression that the brown wire was a "sense" wire for the regulator to charge or not charge the battery at any given point. Here is a picture of my regulator rectifier and fuse setup the brown on regulator goes to the brown on the fuse box and come out a red/blue, not sure where it goes? I was had the understanding that it could go to the positive for the brake light just to give it a power draw to "sense" from. Not sure now.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Regulator rectifier wiring 07 Jun 2011 20:42 #456000

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
  • Thank you received: 391
Yes the Brown Wire Needs to Go to a switched power source that when on and loaded is very close to the voltage of the battery. The fuse box you have shown looks like it would be the stock unit. Use your meter and check that the Red/ Blue wire turns on and off with the key. Then take out its fuse and find which side of the fuse is protected and which is the hot. Since this is already feed through the 20 amp main fuse, up to the ignition switch and then back here to the fuse box. I would hook the Brown wire from your R/R to the Hot side of this Switched Red/ Blue.
OK?
1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

Regulator rectifier wiring 07 Jun 2011 20:43 #456001

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 2098
Could view the various years of KZ750 twin models listed in the KZr FILEBASE, and will likely find the applicable wiring diagram.

Good Fortune! :)
1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

Regulator rectifier wiring 07 Jun 2011 22:25 #456013

• skidooman
  • User
If you look closely at the picture the brown wire comes from the regulator and goes to the fuse box through a fuse and out the other side as a red/blue wire. the red/blue wire doesnt go to anything, so thats what i'm not sure about where to hook it up at. I was gonna run it into the tail light positive like you earlier recommended but then someone else posted saying a bunch of other stuff that was totally confusing. So now i'm not sure what to do. Sorry for being a hassle. Just a little confused.

Regulator rectifier wiring 07 Jun 2011 22:36 #456018

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
  • Thank you received: 391
The Brown wire with the white stripe, in your photo has the Red/ Blue wire on the other side of the fuse. Look at the wiring diagram Patten posted in your thread. The Red/ Blue wire goes to the Ignition Switch, and also becomes the Blue wire which is your Dash/ tail lights. This wire should have power at Key on.
1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

Regulator rectifier wiring 08 Jun 2011 05:33 #456091

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
It may be easier to just rewire the whole bike from scratch. I can draw you up a new diagram pretty quickly. How much of the gauges and lighting are you keeping?

Regulator rectifier wiring 08 Jun 2011 14:22 #456149

• skidooman
  • User
Well all the gauges are gone and the blinkers are gone to, its bare bones. It does have a head and tail light with tail light switch. I would like to install blinkers again and a speedo but thats it. If you could come up with something, including the charging system, that would be great. thanks. Like I said i've got a good bit done with new wires on the bike i'm just having a little harder time with the fuses and regulator.

Regulator rectifier wiring 09 Jun 2011 01:59 #456272

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
Is it going to be electric start or kick start?
Does it have points or electronic ignition?

That would narrow down the amount of diagrams I have to look at.

EDIT: Steell already figured out what bike you have:

steell wrote: Nope that's not a "B" model, it's an "M". A 1982 KZ750M1 to be exact, the 82 was the only year with leading axle front forks and a chain drive, there was no 81 model and the 83 was a belt. By the way, that bike is also the first 750 that had electronic ignition :D

First 82 I have seen with mag wheels though, I wonder if they are off a KZ1000K LTD model.

Post edited by: steell, at: 2006/01/23 14:43

From your other thread:
www.kzrider.com/forum/4-electrical/19480...iring-diagram#452700

1982 KZ750 M1 twin.

All I need to know now is if you want to keep the electric start?

Last edit: by loudhvx.

Regulator rectifier wiring 09 Jun 2011 03:30 #456280

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
Here's one with the electric start.

This is for Skidooman. 1982 KZ750 M1 twin.
I think you have to drag it to your desktop to get the full, clear image.

Regulator rectifier wiring 10 Jun 2011 04:37 #456464

• wcrider62
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
after many serches I finaly found a sight that helped me and hopefuly will help you too. electrosport.com it gave me step by step instuctions how to test each component to find my electrical problem
1982 kz1100 spectre D1

Regulator rectifier wiring 16 Jun 2011 09:16 #457589

• skidooman
  • User
Thank you all for the help with my bike, I've got the wiring almost done, pretty much from scratch. Thanks to Loudhvx and Motor head. I got it to have power to lights and crank over with excellent spark on both cylinders. Just need to button up the wiring to the key switch and re-install the new gas tank. Among a few other things of course but i'm making good progress, and I couldnt have done it without your help! thanks again. I'll post some pics with finished product. I plan on installing a different headlight, tail light, and blinker set up. As time and money permits.
Attachments:

Regulator rectifier wiring 07 Nov 2011 06:10 #487388

• wcrider62
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
on mine the red and blue wire goes just between the heads and carbs for the oil pressure light
1982 kz1100 spectre D1