Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Spark Plug to Coil Order 25 Oct 2010 13:06 #408991

• wdemaster
  • wdemaster's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
So, I searched quite extensively on the forum here, and maybe im just blind but I couldn't quite find my answer.

I have a 1980 KZ750E Four cylinder. What I am looking for is what order do the spark plug wires hook into the coils. Or what number cylinder hooks to which coil out put. Any help is appreciated. I took them off with out recording their order first...oops...Shame on me. And I cant find anywhere in my Clymer manual where is gives the specific order for the coil to plug wire... Thanks again..
Wes

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Spark Plug to Coil Order 25 Oct 2010 13:35 #408996

• MFolks
  • User
  • Thank you received: 540
I made this for the bigger 4's but toward the bottom I mention how the smaller 4's are wired differently:

Ignition Coil Primary And Secondary Wiring

Ignition coils on the 80’s Kz1000,Kz1100’s and Gpz1100’s are wired the same, that is as you sit on the bike, the LEFT ignition coil primary(small wires) are two wires, RED and BLACK. The secondary (or sparkplug wires) go to #1 and #4 sparkplugs.

The cylinders are numbered left to right as you sit on the seat; #1,#2,#3, and #4.

For the RIGHT ignition coil, the primary wires, again are two wires, RED and GREEN, with the secondary going to #2 and #3.

The RED wire gets it’s voltage from the run/stop switch on the right handlebar switch pod.

The BLACK and GREEN wires connect to the IC Igniter(if the bike has the Kawasaki supplied electronic ignition) it actually gives the coils their grounds to fire the sparkplugs.

Primary(small wires) side of the coils will read between 1.8 to 3.0 ohms.

Secondary(sparkplug wire ports)side of the coil will read between 10.4K to 15.6K ohms.

To stress the ignition coils, take a hair dryer, heat the coils and see if the ohm readings change from cold to hot . If they do, it’s time to buy new coils.

Keep in mind, the wiring is reversed for the 550’s 650‘s and 750‘s, that is the RIGHT coil primary will be two wires, RED and BLACK with the secondary(sparkplugs) going to #1 and #4.

The LEFT coils primary wiring would be again two wires, RED and GREEN, with the secondary(sparkplugs) going to #2 and #3.

These engines have what is known as a “Wasted Spark” that is, a sparkplug will fire during an exhaust stroke. It does no damage and many other motorcycle engines have this design.

Did this help? Kawasaki ignition coils on the 4's fire two sparkplugs, it makes no matter which port is used as long as the correct sparkplug number is followed.
1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

Spark Plug to Coil Order 25 Oct 2010 14:13 #409001

• wdemaster
  • wdemaster's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
So, am I to understand that, it doesnt matter which coil out put goes to which of its two designated cylinders? If i use the right coil for example, I can have the #4 cylinder wire hooked to the top or bottom coil output?

Spark Plug to Coil Order 25 Oct 2010 14:32 #409003

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 2098
wdemaster wrote:

So, am I to understand that, it doesn't matter which coil out put goes to which of its two designated cylinders? If i use the right coil for example, I can have the #4 cylinder wire hooked to the top or bottom coil output?

it doesn't matter which coil out put goes to which of its two designated cylinders --- That's correct. B)

Good Fortune! :)
[Click on image to enlarge view.]

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:

Last edit: by Patton.

Spark Plug to Coil Order 25 Oct 2010 14:41 #409004

• JMKZHI
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 48
I'm pretty sure your bike is wired the same as the 81 KZ650-CSR & 750-Ltd-4s.

The cylinders are numbered 1-2-3-4 left-to right as you are sitting on the bike.
The firing order is 1-2-4-3.

The right side coil is for the #1 & #4 spark plug wires & has the Black igniter wire.

The left side coil is for the #2 & #3 spark plug wires & has the Green igniter wire.

Each coil also has a Red wire.

Last edit: by JMKZHI.

Spark Plug to Coil Order 25 Oct 2010 19:43 #409069

• JR
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 434
JMKZHI wrote:

I'm pretty sure your bike is wired the same as the 81 KZ650-CSR & 750-Ltd-4s.

The cylinders are numbered 1-2-3-4 left-to right as you are sitting on the bike.
The firing order is 1-2-4-3.

The right side coil is for the #1 & #4 spark plug wires & has the Black igniter wire.

The left side coil is for the #2 & #3 spark plug wires & has the Green igniter wire.

Each coil also has a Red wire.

Yep
Thats the way my 1980 750E1 is wired.

For confirmation you can find a wiring diagram in the filebase.
Up above place your mouse over KZ Information tab then click on Filebase.
Scroll down and click on 1980,
Scroll down and click on 750E etc etc.
1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

• Page: