Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

KZ750 LTD H2 1981 IGNITON COIL TESTING 09 Aug 2010 07:31 #389577

• angel_uk
  • angel_uk's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Wildlife Artist and adventurer by any means!
  • Thank you received: 0
hi gang

does anyone know how to test ignition coils please.
this is first that i've ever done. our local bike shop charges about $60 for testing them?

thanks for your advice

regards

angie

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

KZ750 LTD H2 1981 IGNITON COIL TESTING 09 Aug 2010 09:40 #389592

• MFolks
  • User
  • Thank you received: 540
Ignition Coil Primary And Secondary Wiring

Ignition coils on the 80’s Kz1000,Kz1100’s and Gpz1100’s are wired the same, that is as you sit on the bike, the LEFT ignition coil primary(small wires) are two wires, RED and BLACK. The secondary (or sparkplug wires) go to #1 and #4 sparkplugs.

The cylinders are numbered left to right as you sit on the seat; #1,#2,#3, and #4.

For the RIGHT ignition coil, the primary wires, again are two wires, RED and GREEN, with the secondary going to #2 and #3.

The RED wire gets it’s voltage from the run/stop switch on the right handlebar switch pod.

The BLACK and GREEN wires connect to the IC Igniter(if the bike has the Kawasaki supplied electronic ignition) it actually gives the coils their grounds to fire the sparkplugs.

Primary(small wires) side of the coils will read between 1.8 to 3.0 ohms.

Secondary(sparkplug wire ports)side of the coil will read between 10.4K to 15.6K ohms.

Keep in mind, the wiring is reversed for the 650‘s and 750‘s, that is the RIGHT coil primary will be two wires, RED and BLACK with the secondary(sparkplugs) going to #1 and #4.

The LEFT coils primary wiring would be again two wires, RED and GREEN, with the secondary(sparkplugs) going to #2 and #3.

These engines have what is known as a “Wasted Spark” that is, a sparkplug will fire during an exhaust stroke. It does no damage and many other motorcycle engines have this design.

If you suspect the coils are failing under heating conditions,remove the gas tank, and with the engine off, use a hair dryer to heat stress the coils while taking ohm readings using a multimeter.

Another possibility is the pulsing coils becoming intermittent:

Ohm Checking Pickup(Pulsing) Coils

The pickup coils on the Kawasaki’s with the factory supplied electronic ignition can sometimes fail or become intermittent due to heat and vibration.

1.Trace back from where the pick up coils are mounted,(under a right side CD sized cover) locate and disconnect a small 4 pin connector. Using a multi-meter set on OHMS and range of 2K, check between the BLUE and BLACK wires(#1 and #4 sparkplug wires) for between 360- 540 OHMS.

2.For #2 and #3 sparkplugs the wire colors will be YELLOW and RED, again 360-540 OHMS.

3.If the pickup coils are suspect of failing due to heat, they can be stressed using a hair dryer without the need of the engine running.

4.A replacement set of pickup coils might be obtained from a dealer who serviced the police Kawasaki’s.

5. If replacement pickup coils are not available, your next choice would be to order a Dyna “S” electronic ignition system from www.z1enterprises.com It replaces the IC igniter with a smaller module located where the mechanical ignition advancer was mounted.

6. Checking with Kawasaki.com website has determined that the Pick up(pulsing) coils are available . The pulsing coil # is 59026-1133 and replaces the older # 1002, 1012 which were used from the MKII motors until the 2005 P24.

7.Check the small 4 pin connector that the pickup coils connect to
1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

KZ750 LTD H2 1981 IGNITON COIL TESTING 09 Aug 2010 10:31 #389606

• angel_uk
  • User
hi mfolks

thank you so much for taking time out to send me this BRILLIANT answer, some things you know, others you don't!

i will print this out for my Dad, who is on a massive learning curve with building his first bike!.. i make the coffee, supply sandwiches, cakes, biscuit and general slave!.. i get the good jobs, cleaning and polishing, parts buying and finding the last few parts on the web!..

many thanks for helping us mfolks!

regards

angie

KZ750 LTD H2 1981 IGNITON COIL TESTING 09 Aug 2010 11:12 #389608

• bountyhunter
  • User
  • Thank you received: 337
Measuring the Ohms on the windings will almost surely NOT detect the kind of failure mode that old coils are prone to, which is "arcing" down across the high voltage winding to ground or to a lower voltage winding. What's worse, most bad coils don't start screwing up until they get hot so a cold test might not detect it even if the tester has high voltage test capability. IMHO, if they are original coils on an old bike and are suspect, chuck them in the can and get new ones.
1979 KZ-750 Twin

Last edit: by bountyhunter.

KZ750 LTD H2 1981 IGNITON COIL TESTING 09 Aug 2010 14:24 #389667

• bountyhunter
  • User
  • Thank you received: 337
angel_uk wrote:

hi gang

does anyone know how to test ignition coils please.
this is first that i've ever done. our local bike shop charges about $60 for testing them?

thanks for your advice

regards

angie

I'm not sure which coil your 750 uses: if it uses a 4 Ohm coil, Z1 Enterprises sells new OEM equivalent coils for $36 each. I have been running one for some time, runs great. At that price, not worth messing with an old coil.

If your engine needs a low Ohm coil, you need to buy a Dyna which costs more but might be worth it if your coil is original (which is basically 30 years old). Coils do go bad over time and are notorious for causing all kinds of problems from hard starting to random misfires and rough running.
1979 KZ-750 Twin

Last edit: by bountyhunter.

KZ750 LTD H2 1981 IGNITON COIL TESTING 09 Aug 2010 17:47 #389719

• JR
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 435
With the meter set at ohms the resistance between across the low tension leads - the brass connectors where the coloured wires attach - should be 1.8 - 2.8 ohms.

With the plug caps removed the resistance across the high tension leads should be 10 - 16,000 ohms

With the meter leads connected one to a low tension lead and the other to a high tension lead you should not see anything.

Like bountyhunter said these tests can be fine but not show intermittent performance once the temperature goes up. Most of dont have the gear necessary for the full test.

If you are thinking of testing te coils then can we ask why or what symptoms you are experiencing ?

Do you have a manual ? You can download a factory manual here www.mbsween.com/kz750l3/index.html It's for the L3 model but will be close enough for most things.
1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

KZ750 LTD H2 1981 IGNITON COIL TESTING 10 Aug 2010 01:34 #389814

• angel_uk
  • User
hi there

many thanks for your message, that's what we thought!

it's best to start off with new ones!

best wishes

angie

KZ750 LTD H2 1981 IGNITON COIL TESTING 16 Apr 2015 15:32 #668247

• buzzard38
  • User
I looking to replace replace both coils on 81 Kawasaki 750 ltd. anybody know the best place to buy them. the Kawasaki shop near by can get after markets for 165. for the pair.

KZ750 LTD H2 1981 IGNITON COIL TESTING 16 Apr 2015 15:49 #668251

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1628
Z1Enterprises.com carries Dyna coils. The grey 2.2 ohm are supposed to be a good match for the stock Kawasaki electronic ignition, but you can use the green 3.0 ohm coils. which are a match for the Dyna S system.

KZ750 LTD H2 1981 IGNITON COIL TESTING 16 Apr 2015 18:23 #668277

• Tyrell Corp
  • User
  • "You were made as well as we could make you"
  • Thank you received: 260
Great and detailed replies, my take on this is that you can't easily test a coil just with a meter. Sure, primary, secondary and Ht leads plus caps all come out with a resistance number, but it is all crap really.

The problem is coils run at high voltage 20 000 volts plus, rather more than a multimeterer can provide. A 'drop test' is he way to go.

I did a domestic wiring install recently, boring EU 230 volts, but tested with a 'megger' for insulation resistance at 1000 Volts. If you could 'stress' test your coils at 80 000 Volts you might get different results.

In the real world outside a NASA lab, after checking everything else and primary resistance, replacing with new is the way to go imo. Been here before with an ohm meter and got the numbers i wanted, and really wanted to believe it. Just the bike wasn't having it and was intermittently missing once warm.

A digi ohmeter just isn't a good test for coil secondary winding resistance imo.
1980 Gpz550 D1, 1981 GPz550 D1. 1982 GPz750R1. 1983 z1000R R2. all four aces

KZ750 LTD H2 1981 IGNITON COIL TESTING 16 Apr 2015 18:33 #668282

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1628
My old stock coils tested fine cold, using an analog multimeter. At the time, I don't recall if I tested them hot, after riding the bike. But when the bike developed a high speed miss, I went on a high speed run, then stopped to feel the coils, pressing hard w my fingers --- they were very hot. So I got new green Dynas.

KZ750 LTD H2 1981 IGNITON COIL TESTING 16 Apr 2015 19:16 #668296

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 2098

Good Fortune! :)
1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:

• Page: