Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

kz650 white gauge faces 26 Mar 2006 14:53 #34492

• Maxwedge
  • Maxwedge's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Does anybody make them for a 1980 kz650 or has anyone here made their own? My stock ones are completely faded, but they still work fine. I like the look of the white face gauges on other bikes, so I was considering having a sign shop make me some out of uv resistant viynl if they aren't availible.

Cool website by the way.
:)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

kz650 white gauge faces 26 Mar 2006 16:34 #34499

• Scotty355
  • User
can't help on the white face gauges but with the max wedge name are you a mopar fan?

kz650 white gauge faces 26 Mar 2006 16:48 #34502

• rstnick
  • User
  • Thank you received: 376
Welcome. Never seen ones available, but sounds like a good idea. Keep us posted on your seach, and give us a pix of your ride.
Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s

kz650 white gauge faces 26 Mar 2006 20:03 #34579

• N0NB
  • User
  • Blue handles better
  • Thank you received: 19
At one time one of the members here rebuilt and reworked guages (was it Canyon Dancer?) and I think he was affiliated with Z1 Enterprises. You might check there and see if he would work up your set as you'd like.

- Nate>>
Nate

Nates vintage bike axiom: Riding is the reward for time spent wrenching.
Murphys corollary: Wrenching is the result of time spent riding.

1979 KZ650 (Complete!)
1979 KZ650 SR (Sold!)
1979 KL250 (For sale)
1994 Bayou 400 (four wheel peel :D )

kz650 white gauge faces 26 Mar 2006 20:40 #34592

• Maxwedge
  • User
Thanks for all the info guys. I'll try the Z1 hook up, if he can't do it, I think I might just try scanning my gauges into my computer and use some photo editing software to play around with them. I did this a while back with some automotive gauges and it worked ok. Only problem last time was that I used Kodak photo paper and they faded in the sun after a few years. I think maybe this time I'll take the printout to somebody that can copy it using UV resistant ink/background.
Yes I am a Mopar fan but you wouldn't know it by looking in my driveway. Got a Ford, a Nissan, and a Rambler, but no Mopars right now, LOL.
My KZ is in pieces all over town and my garage now, but I should have it all back in the next few days so I will post some pics then when I start re-assembling.

kz650 white gauge faces 27 Mar 2006 19:53 #34804

• xstreamcanadian
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4
max

I am rebuilding a set of gauges as well, and as I have two spare pairs I have been experimenting. I bought some model paint and some VERY small foam tipped brushes and was thinking of redoing the lines with small auto pin striping, BUT I like your idea better, if you get two made, I'll buy a set off of you if they arent too $$$ but you could pass off some of your cost onto me. I am currently wiring in LEDs in place of the incandescent gauge lights, and using blue ones for the gauges, these would look super cool with white faced gauges. I have a scanner and the new photo shop, I think your idea is a very good one and may pursue it here as well at a local sign shop that has done nice custom stuff for my work in the past. I also painted the plastic parts of the console with black plastic bumper paint(flexes and doesnt fade) after cleaning them with plastic prep, that part looks brand new. I also sanded down the outside and painted it, did you have any luck getting them off without slightly buggering the edges??

xc

kz650 white gauge faces 27 Mar 2006 19:58 #34809

• wireman
  • Visitor
that blue led idea sounds pretty cool keep us posted.B)

kz650 white gauge faces 27 Mar 2006 20:04 #34811

• xstreamcanadian
  • User
I have one mounted for the high beam it looks good, but you dont want to stare straight into it! I wonder what the point of the green inside the gauge cover is, its a butt ugly aqua green but I am assuming has reflective properties. Is there a good way(read without f$#%ing up your gauge) to get that needle off? I screwed one up already with the 'two butter knives' method. I want to try to scan mine in, that idea is great, I have a local printer who likes to try new stuff, I was thinking white reflective vinyl with blue lines that would glow in the dark and of course a red redline area, I wonder if I could rig up a micro switch to light up the redline area in glowing red when you hit it..... that would be incentive to hit it all the time!

kz650 white gauge faces 27 Mar 2006 21:49 #34858

• donthekawguy
  • User
  • Thank you received: 8
You could try and fit a set of ploice gauges to your bike. They have white faces but usually only come with two speedo's. I did se a tach on ebay but it was gone before I bid.
Rathdrum Idaho
1971 Kawasaki g3ss
1972 Yamaha R5 350
1965 Suzuki Hillbilly
1964 Yamaha 125

kz650 white gauge faces 02 Apr 2006 11:36 #36169

• Maxwedge
  • User
Ok I took the gauges apart and made some scans of the faces. Didn't turn out as well as I would like. I'm sure somebody with Photo-Shop or a good image editing software could make them look pretty decent though. All I did was invert the colors to make them white. I tried attaching the white file here. I will be glad to e-mail the files to anyone if this doesn't work or they want to try messing around with it.

kz650 white gauge faces 02 Apr 2006 16:28 #36218

• xstreamcanadian
  • User
how did you pop the needles off? Ill take the pic emailed to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. and try to photoshop it up. Btchalice on here does some photoshopping, he may also be able to invert the colors

kz650 white gauge faces 02 Apr 2006 18:58 #36258

• btchalice
  • User
  • Thank you received: 7
i like playing with photoshop but im no pro. but id try to clean it up if you want maybe even give it custom numbers. This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Terry Meyer / Wichita KS
76 kz900 w/1000 motor TWZTD
I am not driving too fast, I'm flying too low.