Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

HELP! 03 Mar 2009 15:45 #269470

• Grid_Lock
  • Grid_Lock's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
hi all. i have a 1982 KZ750 but dont know how to tell if it is a spectre or LTD. its not starting right now so i would like to know what kind it is so that i can look up the right part or fix the right thing. when i hit the start button all it does is click. drove it to work one day and when i went out to start it it wouldn't start. but it had drizzled a lil bit so am not sure what happened to it. its a shaft driven 4cyl. cafe racer set up with non factory paint so it doesnt say anything on the side covers. all it sais is kawasaki on the gas tank. any help would be great.
thank you.
SWAY
currently have a KZ750

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

HELP! 03 Mar 2009 16:29 #269481

• rstnick
  • User
  • Thank you received: 376
Give us the VIN # off the steering stem area. That'll confirm the model.
If I'm not mistaken, being a shaft drive would make it the Spectre.
Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s

HELP! 03 Mar 2009 16:33 #269483

• Grid_Lock
  • User
it sais kz750ne cant remember the numbers after that. have to go to my buddies garage.
currently have a KZ750

HELP! 03 Mar 2009 16:49 #269488

• MFolks
  • User
  • Thank you received: 540
When the starting solenoid just clicks on starting the engine, I'd look at the battery condition; has it been charged lately and if is not a sealed unit can you add distilled water to the fill line?

The battery cables might be corroded or loose, look at the ground connection from the negative battery cable to the engine, and check the positive cable from the battery + terminal to the starter solenoid.

If everything I mentioned looks good, It might be two things; 1. the starter solenoid is failing or
2. the starter motors brushes need replacing.

There are rebuild kits for the starter motor available,lets us know what you've found.
1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

HELP! 03 Mar 2009 16:59 #269490

• Grid_Lock
  • User
battery has been charged and voltage looks good after charged.the leads all look good. the cables arent corroded. and i still get the click.
currently have a KZ750

HELP! 03 Mar 2009 18:50 #269502

• PLUMMEN
  • User
  • Thank you received: 103
put meter on battery cables and check voltage when you try starting it.B)
Still recovering,some days are better than others.

HELP! 03 Mar 2009 19:10 #269506

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
  • Thank you received: 235
spectre 750...bad battery my 2 cents.....best of luck...pictures...hook it to a trickle charger try and start it ...if it starts go buy a battery....your registration numbers will tell...frame number and born on date....best of luck and welcome aboard craig
1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

HELP! 04 Mar 2009 06:25 #269586

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
OK... here is what is going on... battery is charged? How the heck do you know???? You can charge a battery with sulflated plates all day and it won't hold a charge. You MUST get the battery load tested... try an auto parts store as they have a load tester or a bike shop. If the battery isn't maintenance free, you can get a real good sense of its condition by buying a small hydrometer... will look like an eyedropper with little colored balls in the clear part. Using a small hose on its end, draw in some battery fluid from each cell. If ANY of the balls fail to float, the cell is either going dead or is dead. Battery is junk...

Next issue... if the battery is fair or OK, then you are having a charging issue. You charge the battery up using a charger. Hopefully you use a low amp (1 amp) trickle charger for about 8 hours... anyway, you go to work and the bike runs from the charge you gave it but is discharged by the time you get there. Problem could be one or more of several issues. Stator bad, wiring bad, reg/rec bad. Do you have a service manual?

Anyway, EVERY manual in the universe tells you to start trouble shooting once you KNOW your battery is OK and fully charged so do that first.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

HELP! 05 Mar 2009 16:38 #269887

• Grid_Lock
  • User
well guys, i got the bike started. what i had to do was touch the starter solenoid prongs with a screw driver and it tried to turn over without the key in it. after that it started draining the battery and would start. so i took it to auto zone had the battery fully charged and went back today. put the carb filters on it and the hoses comin out of the the carbs and it started right up. not sure what the hoses are for they dont run to anything. but thanks for all the help and will be posting pics soon. again thank you so much for the help

SWAY
currently have a KZ750

• Page: