Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Ignition coil connector 25 Feb 2009 20:32 #268151

• wrouse
  • wrouse's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Can someone post a picture of where the ignition coil hooks into the wiring harness? I have a 80 KZ550 LTD and can't find the appropriate sized connection for the ignition coil on the wiring harness. Help!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Ignition coil connector 25 Feb 2009 21:11 #268155

• MFolks
  • User
  • Thank you received: 540
On my 82 GPZ1100 the wires come out of the harness by the coils and are two wires, black and red for the left coil and two wires black and green for the right coil. The coil connections are the push on type 1/4" wide.

There is no polarity on the coils as they are nothing but step up transformers.Just make sure the red wire is connected to the same terminals on both coils.

Some bikes have screws for the coil wiring and this will involve stripping insulation, and crimping on the proper sized wire termination.
1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

Ignition coil connector 26 Feb 2009 07:57 #268215

• wrouse
  • User
Sorry, I got my terminology mixed up. I'm looking for where the connection from the electronic ignition to the wiring harness is. On my bike, there are two red/yellow wires, a green wire, and a black wire that come out of the harness and connect to the coils. but where does the electronic ignition hook into the wiring harness? And shouldn't that connection have the same color wires as the ones that go to the coils?

Ignition coil connector 26 Feb 2009 08:02 #268216

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
The igniter module should bolt on under the left side cover. There will be two plugs. One with skinny wires: reb,black,blue,yellow, and one with thicker wires: Green, black, black/yellow, red or red/yellow

Ignition coil connector 27 Feb 2009 11:12 #268471

• wrouse
  • User
Does a Dyna S Electronic Ignition DS-2 replace the need for an ignition module? It seems that my bike does not have an ignition module, but it does have the Dyna S. My question is, where is my connection from the Dyna-S to the wiring harness located? If anyone has a color wiring diagram,that would be helpful, as the one that comes in the Clymer manual is b&W and very confusing.

-Bill

Ignition coil connector 27 Feb 2009 12:07 #268486

• MFolks
  • User
  • Thank you received: 540
My understanding is the Dyna replaces the IC Igniter that came stock with the bike. I'd check the KZ tab information here to find a wiring diagram in color for your bike.

A source for all the factory information for your particular motorcycle is at www.repairmanual.com It might be a few $ but has all the specs and color wiring diagrams.
1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

Ignition coil connector 27 Feb 2009 13:30 #268503

• rstnick
  • User
  • Thank you received: 376
Since you have the Dyna and not a Kawi factory elec. Ign., there wont be an IC Igniter, but the wires will be in that area, under one of the sidecovers and the colors loudhvx mentioned:

one with thicker wires: Green, black, black/yellow, red or red/yellow

The black/yellow being the ground wire, the red or red/yellow being the power supply (+ 12 volts) and the green and black being the two wires running to either coil.
Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s

Ignition coil connector 27 Feb 2009 14:51 #268527

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 2098
Dyna-S doesn't use igniter.
Understanding the wire routing frees you from color reliance.

Wire (regardless of color) from left-hand Dyna-S module goes to whichever coil fires two outside spark plugs.

Wire (regardless of color) from right-hand Dyna-S module goes to whichever coil fires two inside spark plugs.

Another wire (usually red) connects (splices into) any harness wire that has battery positive voltage when the ignition is switched to ON. This wire feeds both Dyna-S modules.

Some bikes have a fourth wire (perhaps blue) that connects to the oil pressure sending unit, I think :unsure: .

Here's an example of a Dyna-S on the large fours.

Good Luck! :)

[Click on image to enlarge view]

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:

Last edit: by Patton.
  • Page: