• Page:

TOPIC:

The perfect ignition system? 07 Oct 2008 10:57 #240598

• pawkz1k
  • pawkz1k's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello,

I mentioned in an earlier post that with my Dyna S ignition and Dyna green coils installed on my 1978 KZ1000, the charging system could not keep up with the power demands of the Dyna ignition components. I also mentioned that when I use the factory ignition points along with the Dyna green coils, the charging system works great. Also, when I test the charging system according to the Clymer manual, everything seems to be OK.

This post is a follow up. I did some additional testing. As it turns out, I have an MSD MC-1 ignition box on my KZ based dragbike so I decided to install it on my 1978 KZ1000.
The MDS setup includes: the MC-1 ignition box, Dyna green coils, and Dyna S (used as the trigger).

This is the results of that test: the MSD system used about the same power as the factory points setup. I do not have an amp meter so all I could measure was the system voltage at the battery. Both the MSD and points setup maintained 13.5 VDC @ 2000RPM. At 3000RPM the system voltage rose to around 13.8 VDC. I saw over 14VDC and around 6000RPM. These voltage measurements where seen during several tests even after starting the engine numerous times and with a short (1 to 2 minute) run time to let the voltage stabilize. I did not charge the battery with an external battery charger either before or after each test. I believe these results would be similar to running your bike in stop-and-go traffic, making short trips or making several stops between your departure and final destination..

So could this ignition setup be the base of both worlds: offering low power demands (like the factory points) and a high-performance, electronic (i.e. set-it and forget-it) ignition? Also, the MSD uses a multi-spark discharge (hence MSD) which provides much improved combustion at lower RPMs. The Dyna S does not even come close.

Some addition notes: the older MC-1 box is kind of big and the current MC-3 box is not cheap. I believe the current MC-3 system [non Pro Stock version] has the same power demands as the older MC-1 system I have - when used with 3 ohm coils

Pawkz1k
1978 KZ1000, 1075cc, SS valves, RS34, Dyna S, welded crank, back-cut trans, Kerker System K exhaust (jethot coated)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

The perfect ignition system? 07 Oct 2008 11:34 #240604

• rstnick
  • User
  • Thank you received: 376
As long as this set up works well for you and doesn't require too much power, then that's a bonus.

I've got a Kawi electronic Ignition from an early '80s model KZ in my '78 kz650. The Kawi elec systems do not draw the amount of power the Dyna systems do.
Just finding a kawi elec. Ign. would be the hurdle, as they are a dying breed, meaning less available used over the years.

I had a Dyna S system on for years, until one side fried for some apparent reason. Went back to points for some years, then found the kawi unit.
Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page: