Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

LED light on my KZ 02 Oct 2008 13:02 #239823

• KrazyZ
  • KrazyZ's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Didn't have any turn signals on my 82 Kz1100. So I am getting ready to by the stock one, when I decided they are ugly. Does anyone have LED turn signals...where did ya get them, and where did you put them to make them fit.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

LED light on my KZ 02 Oct 2008 16:41 #239851

• hugo
  • Sustaining Member
  • '92 Zephyr 750
  • Thank you received: 66
LED turn signals are not easy to adapt. Firstable, the stock mechanical blinker relay has to be changed to an elecronic one, or they would blink way fast. You can add extra resistors in series, but they waste power and negate one of the advantages of LEDs; low power.

Next, to even match the brightness of the originals you need to spend some money, likely more than $20 each, just the bulbs, unless you find a very good deal, otherwise they are too weak. 3 watt LEDs are really bright, but they are expensive.

My bulbs are in line with the stems, and I have not been able to find any LED bright enought that turns 90 degrees. Plus I need directional and run lights on the front ones.

Additionally, my bike has one single common dash turn indicator, and this requires a diode to make it work well with LED., or other wise, is on all the time. This is not an issue, if you have right, and left separate indicators.

I was able to change my two tail light bulbs to LED tower type, brighter than originals, but that was $25 a pop.

Don't mean to discourage you, but making you aware it may not be just as easy as changing bulbs.

Last edit: by hugo.

LED light on my KZ 03 Oct 2008 16:48 #240005

• Darkangel
  • User
Well , where exactly do you mount the turn signals....I've been wondering. Because I've got to buy some...But I didn't that it was that hard to do LED turn signals...

LED light on my KZ 04 Oct 2008 18:24 #240167

• amele7
  • User
You can find universal type LED's at J&P cycles. They have a million different styles. They prob. wont blink though because the LED's use very little power and doesnt work without resistors. I put an LED light bar on my 650 and it has brake light, tail light and blinkers all in one light bar. Without resistors the blinkers most likely wont blink
'79 KZ650B3
'81 KZ1000J

• Page: