Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

How to set Ignition timing? 28 Sep 2008 14:56 #239104

• tscustom
  • tscustom's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
'77 KZ1000 with a dyna electronic ignition. Some one had it all screwed up and way off, not to mention the mechanical advance was locked up. After i reset and aligned everything I put a timing lite on it and the least amount of timing i could get out of it was 40 degrees btdc running @ 1500rpm. Is this a normal amount or is something else wrong? It seems excessive. It starts and runs ok but i would like better than ok. This is my first KZ so i havent a clue on how to time it. I am more familliar with V-8 engines.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

How to set Ignition timing? 29 Sep 2008 02:58 #239170

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 2098
tscustom wrote:

'77 KZ1000 with a dyna electronic ignition. Some one had it all screwed up and way off, not to mention the mechanical advance was locked up. After i reset and aligned everything I put a timing lite on it and the least amount of timing i could get out of it was 40 degrees btdc running @ 1500rpm. Is this a normal amount or is something else wrong? It seems excessive. It starts and runs ok but i would like better than ok. This is my first KZ so i havent a clue on how to time it. I am more familliar with V-8 engines.

Hello, Anthony -- or maybe "Tony" -- and WELCOME to KZR! :) We're glad you're here! :cheer:

[Click on image to enlarge view]

Ignition timing procedure with Dyna-S on '77 KZ1000 is same as with points. Would begin with backplate mounted in center of oval slots.
Outside spark plugs #1 and #4 fire simultaneously from left-hand side coil signaled by left-hand Dyna-S module.
Inside spark plugs #2 and #3 fire simultaneously from right-hand side coil signaled by right-hand Dyna-S module
The advancer unit has an F mark for #1/4, and another F mark for #2/3.
Use idle speed rpm to set the timing.
At idle rpm the F mark for #1/4 should align with fixed mark on engine case.
At idle rpm the F mark for #2/3 should align with fixed mark on engine case.
Rotate the back plate within its slots to advance or retard timing. Often, the center of the slotted holes is already very close. But if desired thereafter, each Dyna-S module may itself be fine tuned.
The advancer unit is automatic (centrifugal force, weights and springs).
With strobe-type timing light, should see advancer moving back and forth as rpm is changed.
If recalling correctly, it's 40 degrees btdc when reaching its fully advanced position upon attaining about 2,250-2,450 rpm (per factory design).
Ignore the T mark. TDC is not used incident to routine ignition timing.
The oem points system has a cam rotor moving against the point heels to open and close the contacts (lubed by an oil-soaked pad). Dyna-S rotor -- not shown in the photo -- has an imbedded magnet which serves basically the same purpose (i.e., interrupt coil primary wiring ground whereby coil fires through its secondary winding loop through both plugs).
Some common mistakes include (1) mis-routing wires from the Dyna-S modules to the wrong coils, (2) mis-routing sparkplug wires from coils to the wrong plugs, (3) installing the Dyna-S rotor 180 degrees off (the imbedded rotor magnet should be close to 9 o'clock position when F mark for #1/4 aligns with mark on engine case, and close to 3 o'clock position when F mark for #2/3 aligns with mark on engine case.

Good Luck! :)

P.S. Stock points wires have a solid black wire from left-side points to left-side coil firing #1/4, and a solid green wire from right-side points to right-side coil firing #2/3 (as God and MaKaw intended). Enter Dyna-S with a black collar on a white wire (means black-collared white wire from left-side Dyna-S module to left-side coil firing #1/4), and a green collar on a black wire (means green-collared black wire from right-side Dyna-S module to right-side coil firing #2/3).
Beats me why Dyna uses such color coding instead of simply using the same solid full length wire colors as stock. :unsure:

The important thing to remember is that the left-side Dyna-S module signals whichever coil is firing outside sparkplugs #1 and #4 (regardless of wire color involved or which side of bike the coil is mounted on). And that the right-side Dyna-S module signals whichever coil is firing inside sparkplugs #2 and #3 (regardless of wire color involved or which side of bike the coil is mounted on). :)
1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:

Last edit: by Patton.

How to set Ignition timing? 04 Oct 2008 08:26 #240099

• tscustom
  • tscustom's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
Thanks for the info, it will be very helpfull.

Can you make all the adjustments with the motor running or is there a risk of being shocked? More specificaly the Dyna modules individualy. I spent a lot of time making sure that they were exactly 180 degrees from each other. Would there be any reason to have to move them from this preset location?

Tony

How to set Ignition timing? 04 Oct 2008 09:12 #240109

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 2098
The objective in attaining factory spec ignition timing is that both 1/4 and 2/3 F marks align perfectly with the case mark at idle rpm.

From that point, further fine tuning of ignition timing for maximum high end performance may involve trial and error or perhaps dynamometer testing, but please await more confident advice about this aspect from other members.

Good Luck! :)
1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

How to set Ignition timing? 04 Oct 2008 10:20 #240122

• RonKZ650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 237
Recheck your method of checking. I doubt the engine would even run set to 40 degrees BTDC
321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

How to set Ignition timing? 06 Oct 2008 19:40 #240480

• 650 in Vegas
  • User
I don't want to hijack the thread, but I am having similar problems with my '79 650 with points ignition. In referring to the Chilton manual it tells you to use an ohmmeter to determine at exactly what point the points begin to separate. It says to grind one of the leads to the engine housing and "connect the other lead to the left set (1 and 4) of points". You are then suppose to slowly adjust the location of the points plate until you see the resistance start to flutter. My main quetion is where exactly are you supposed to connect the second lead? Is it supposed to be touchingthe actual points and if so, both of them or just one? If not on the actual point itself, then on one of the wires coming from them, or is it somewhere else altogether? I was touching everything that I could think of while adjusting the points all over the place and used every level of sensitivity that the multimeter had but could not get a consistent flutter in the reading. I ended up just placing them as close to centered as I could guess, and the bike will run but it still seems a little off. I would like to make the old girl purr again and would appreciate any help I could get.
79 KZ650 C - The best $200 I have ever spent!

• Page: