Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Timing a 80 KZ750G1 20 Sep 2008 21:54 #237979

• RyRoRyan
  • RyRoRyan's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I am working on finding all the stuff for this...carb kits, books etc, and have already posted a thread like this in the carb area, but does anyone know off hand how to time this bike? The seat says something about the F mark aligning with the ignition mark but I have no clue what that means. I cant find a single thing on the plate...

But as you can tell from the position, it appears that it is advanced as far as it will go. This is the way I got it, was not running when I got it, since the previous owner put the wire the goes to the coil on backwards causing it to ground at all times. I think he screwed with the plate and I have no idea where to put it back to. The bike will start in this configuration, but it runs pretty bad. I am still not sure if it could also be carb related but I would like to get the timing right just to rule that out and then the carbs working correctly after that. I can do cars all day long, but this is my first bike so I am a little lost here since I dont have a timing mark on the crank like a car does.

Any help would be great.
80' KZ750G1 (LTD II)
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Timing a 80 KZ750G1 21 Sep 2008 06:51 #237991

• steell
  • User
  • Thank you received: 207
Ignition is fully retarded in that pic, not fully advanced. Looking at the crank in that pic, the crank turns counterclockwise.

See that little round hole in the top of the plate? Look in there and you will see a pointer, slowly rotate the motor counterclockwise until the F mark on the advancer behind that plate lines up with the pointer.

Use the big (17mm I think) nut behind the small (13mm I think) bolt head on the end of the crank to turn the motor. The small bolt head (the one with the "L" on it in the pic) is the bolt that holds the advancer on, use it to turn the motor over and you'll likely regret it :)
KD9JUR

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page: