TOPIC:

A/C From Stator Q: 19 Sep 2008 05:24 #237737

• TeK9iNe
  • TeK9iNe's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • What did you do!?!
  • Thank you received: 28
I'm having a charging issue...

I've done all the normal checks but I am puzzled with one thing. If I set my meter to A/C and touch any of the yellow wires from the stator (in any order), at 4000rpm, I get around 50V A/C. If I set the meter to Ohms, and touch one to a yellow wire, then one to the ground, the meter reads 0 Ohms.?. My meter only goes down to 1ohm.

Does, when it displays 0 ohms mean there is infinite resistance? or does it mean there is something there below 1 ohm?

How does the stator being grounded affect its performance, if its giving off 50A/C volts, as it should?
Motorcycle Shop Owner/Operator

79 Kawie Z1000 LTD
81 Kawie Z1000 CSR
83 Honda VT750C A
85 Kawie GPZ900 A2
86 Zukie GS1150 EG
93 Yamie XV1100 E
Lucky to have rolled many old bikes through my doors ;)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

A/C From Stator Q: 19 Sep 2008 19:45 #237850

• aarons80kz650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
What kind of meter do you have. I know nothing of your bike, I have a 650.

Typically an ohm meter will read from zero ohms up to a max given range say like 1000 ohms. A digital meter will typically read OL or something like that when above its measures above its range.

Ohm meters use the internal battery to supply a voltage to the leads. This voltage is very small. The voltage when placed across a resistance will allow a current flow and this is used by the meter to calculate the resistance.

Ohms law. The rate of the flow of the current is equal to electromotive force divided by resistance.

Put that into math and work it over and you get
Resistance = voltage/current for a purely resistive circuit.

Now, Since I know nothing of your bike but I know a little about the operation of a meter I am going to speculate. Because the ohm meter supplies its own voltage to calculate the resistance any other voltage source applied across the same resistance can throw your meter out of whack. 12v battery on your bike possibly. You may actually be reading to ground through another component connected to your stator while you are performing the test. You may be reading to ground through your stator.

Here is a theoretical possibility that I have personally witnessed. A coil of wire that is isolated from all grounds can hold a charge. By definition a capacitor is two conductors separated by an insulator. This charge can cause an ohm meter to read falsely. Readings will change as the charge increases or decreases based on polarity.

Hope this helps.

A/C From Stator Q: 19 Sep 2008 21:16 #237871

• TeK9iNe
  • TeK9iNe's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • What did you do!?!
  • Thank you received: 28
Thank you for your response.

I removed the stator and had it tested. Turns out its cooked. I got a used won for $60, and threw it in.

Everything charging good now and I'm back on the road!

Cheers! :P
Motorcycle Shop Owner/Operator

79 Kawie Z1000 LTD
81 Kawie Z1000 CSR
83 Honda VT750C A
85 Kawie GPZ900 A2
86 Zukie GS1150 EG
93 Yamie XV1100 E
Lucky to have rolled many old bikes through my doors ;)

• Page: