Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Battery Electrolyte Level Warning Indicator & AGM battery -- KZ1100-B2 17 Sep 2008 09:38 #237519

• BSSmith
  • BSSmith's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I've just retrieved my two GPz's from two years in storage. Both the '81 550 and '82 1100 survived storage quite well--no rodent damage, no bad gas. Wonderful!

But the 11's battery was beyond resuscitation, and I replaced it with a sealed AGM--which works fine, but now I've no easy place to mount the sensor for the battery electrolyte level warning indicator. And the indicator is doing its job of flashing the lcd and red warning lights. So I'm looking for advice. Two possible alternatives:

-- rewire the sensor to read "all ok" (if so, how to do?)
-- unplug one of the AGM cell caps, install the sensor and silicone seal it in place (I suspect the new cell openings are larger than the old.)

Anyone have experience with this and/or care to offer advice?

Many thanks,

BS

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Battery Electrolyte Level Warning Indicator & AGM battery -- KZ1100-B2 17 Sep 2008 10:36 #237529

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
To disable it, just wire it to a 12v source. If it's sealed, then it shouldn't need an electrolyte level indicator since it shouldn't lose electrolyte. (I said "shouldn't", not "won't"... :) )

Battery Electrolyte Level Warning Indicator & AGM battery -- KZ1100-B2 17 Sep 2008 10:37 #237530

• MFolks
  • User
  • Thank you received: 540
I've got the same problem with my bike. I understand the sensor will turn off with 3 volts and have considered putting a 3 volt battery in the circuit just for this.

I'v got a battery holder and will probably mount it near the fuses(by the way the glass fuses are becomming hard to find and I'm going to use a blade style fuse holder like the cars do).
1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

Battery Electrolyte Level Warning Indicator & AGM battery -- KZ1100-B2 17 Sep 2008 12:19 #237537

• OnkelB
  • User
  • Thank you received: 80
Like Lou said, to turn the warning lights off just connect the warning light wire to a (switched) 12V source. The electrolyte level sensor connects to a pink wire under the rear of the tank, I tapped into the fuse box and ran a jumper from there to the pink wire, works like a charm.

All the sensor does is turn on the warning light if the electrolyte level gets too low - it only takes a few seconds to check the level visually so I can easily live without the sensor especially since the battery with the sensor hole costs twice as much as the same one without the hole.
77 KZ 650 B1, 82 GPz 1100 B2.

Battery Electrolyte Level Warning Indicator & AGM battery -- KZ1100-B2 17 Sep 2008 18:44 #237572

• BSSmith
  • BSSmith's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Many thanks. After asking the question I found my factory manual for the bike and the section on warning indicators. It indicates the sensor needs to see at least 6v so a 3v battery likely wouldn't work. And as others have said, the easy solution is to snip off the cell plug from the pink wire and connect the wire to a 12v source. I did that and the electrolyte level indicator now is disabled (it still correctly lights on start up test).

I connected the wire to an always-on lead, not a keyed one (I did the fix before reading the previous post). The bike's previous owner had spliced in a pair of after-market horns that operate independent of ignition key position and I connected the sensor wire to a hot wire for the horn. As indicated, all seems fine so I trust connecting to a non-keyed source was ok also.

Thanks again,

BS

• Page: