Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Dimming Lights 16 Sep 2008 22:44 #237463

• loucifer111
  • loucifer111's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I just cleaned my carbs, changed my battery, and replaced my spark plugs on my '77 kz 900 and it started right up after sitting for 4 years. It was sweet! The problem i'm having is that after awhile the charge on the battery dies and the engine gives out. i'll let the bike sit for a day and it will start right up, but will die the same way. Is this just my alternator or do i have more than one problem?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Dimming Lights 17 Sep 2008 08:24 #237506

• MFolks
  • User
  • Thank you received: 540
All electrical connections must be clean and tight,the battery terminals, the ground connection, and at the starter solenoid.

All connectors need to be cleaned to remove the green crud of corrosion as this causes resistance and lower current flow. The handlebar switches need to be looked at as they get corrosion in them too.

Some 400-600 grit sandpaper and spray contact cleaner will help keep the current flows like they should.

Clean all electrical connections and go for a ride and see if any improvement was made.

A website at www.electrosport.com has a troubleshooting chart or tree to aid in finding out if you have electrical problems.
1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

Dimming Lights 17 Sep 2008 13:13 #237544

• bountyhunter
  • User
  • Thank you received: 337
loucifer111 wrote:

I just cleaned my carbs, changed my battery, and replaced my spark plugs on my '77 kz 900 and it started right up after sitting for 4 years. It was sweet! The problem i'm having is that after awhile the charge on the battery dies and the engine gives out. i'll let the bike sit for a day and it will start right up, but will die the same way. Is this just my alternator or do i have more than one problem?

Sounds like the bike is not charging the battery.

Get a voltmeter and measure the battery voltage with the engine running at 3k RPM. If it's 12 - 13 V, your regulator is not charging the battery. It should be about 14V.
1979 KZ-750 Twin

• Page: