Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

I need some heads up on parts 12 Sep 2008 08:05 #236837

• cruspeed
  • cruspeed's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I picked up a 78 KZ1000 and another bike as a trade for one of my cars. The KZ ran okay but one of the coils would stop working after it go hot so I replace both of them with black dyna 5 ohm coils with some custom brackets I made up and now it runs fine. Is there a draw back to using this coil over the 3 ohm? If it's just that the 3 ohm coils produce a larger spark and more electrical load on the bike then I'm not going to worry about it.

At one point in time there was an oil cooler on the bike that someone removed and ran a hose from the inlet to the outlet of the engine. Anyone have good luck with a specific oil heat exchanger, I found one on jcwhitney for about 50$, ADVANCED-DESIGN 12-PLATE ENGINE OIL COOLER which I can make work with alitte metal and welding work but does anyone have one that is specific for this application?

I've also put some Ninja forks and rims on the bike and I want to get some clipons but would like to upgrade the hand controls if I did this. Does anyone have any suggestions about what kind of controls to use, I know that I can make any of them work as long as there 7/8's but wasn't sure if people preferred a certain style or year.

I also picked up an old extended swing arm for a GS and I think that the stock rear shocks wouldn't be enough to handle the leverage change in the longer swingarm. Can anyone suggest what kind of beefed up suspension or a site I can get a uni-shock set up from. Either way would work for me but I'd prefer the uni-shock set up.

I own 3 motorcycles and a custom VW trike that I built, by far the KZ is my favorite, if you have one don't let it go! Thanks for your time before this even gets started!
78 KZ1000 project X 2

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by cruspeed. Reason: SP!

I need some heads up on parts 12 Sep 2008 09:07 #236845

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
The 3 ohm coils would give a hotter spark at higher RPMs, but will shorten the life of the points. If it runs fine with 5 ohm coils, then the 5 ohm coils are a better choice for longevity of the points. Actually the same goes for any ignition, if the 5 ohm coils work 100% fine, then there is no need to go to a hotter coil. It will only waste energy.

Last edit: by loudhvx.

I need some heads up on parts 12 Sep 2008 14:29 #236884

• bountyhunter
  • User
  • Thank you received: 337
5 Ohm coils should work fine, but Z1 does sell the 4 Ohm OEM type replacement coils if anybody wants the proper OEM resistance coils.
1979 KZ-750 Twin

• Page: