Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Need some info on Dyna coil install 10 Sep 2008 08:52 #236527

• ghunt81
  • ghunt81's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hey guys, I bought a used Dyna coil off ebay and just got it today, and of course it has no instructions with it.

How do I know what wire attaches to what terminal on this thing since they aren't marked, or does it not matter?
1978 Kawasaki KZ750 Twin- Coil mod, Dyna coil, 7mm copper core wires

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Need some info on Dyna coil install 10 Sep 2008 10:46 #236544

• Royal1MC
  • User
  • Is it just me, or is it just great to be on a KZ
Here's link to instructions:

www.dynaonline.com/skins/downloads/instruct/StandardCoil.pdf

Hopefully this helps.
What kind of coil is it?

Here is the home page for Dynatek:

www.dynaonline.com/skins/default.aspx
*1980 Z1-R (current))
*1978 KZ1000 LTD w/ Z1-R frnt end (sold)
*1977 KZ650 B1 (sold)

Los Angeles, CA

Need some info on Dyna coil install 10 Sep 2008 11:41 #236555

• ghunt81
  • User
It's the 3.0 Ohm, dual output coil.

OK, I see on the instructions I'm supposed to be running a 1 or 2 Ohm ballast resistor in the line going to the coil...really? Nobody ever mentioned that before, and I know several people said they were running the 3.0 Ohm coil on their Twins.

Need some info on Dyna coil install 10 Sep 2008 11:48 #236562

• Limey
  • User
  • 3 Years in the U.K. - Brought the KZ with me!
If you have a 3 ohm coil, you do not use the ballast resistor. If you have a 1.5ohm coil you then need a 1.5ohm ballast resistor.

If your system is not designed to use a ballast resistor, go with the 3ohm coil. If it is, you have a choice, but I would still use the 3 ohm and eliminate the resistor!
Eric
Newmarket, England (for 3 years)
Pentwater, Michighan (Home)
1978 KZ650
2000 ZG1000
2006 Suzuki Burgman 650

Need some info on Dyna coil install 10 Sep 2008 11:56 #236565

• ghunt81
  • User
Quoting that Dyna install sheet: "For breaker points, the 5 ohm coil should be used, or the 3 ohm coils can be used and a 1 to 2 ohm ballast resistor placed in the 12 volt line going to the coils. Generally, a ballast resistor should not be used with Dyna coils on electronic ignitions."

:huh:

How do I even know if the system is designed for a ballast resistor?

I guess I won't worry about it...I can get a ballast resistor for $10 anyway.

Last edit: by ghunt81.

Need some info on Dyna coil install 10 Sep 2008 14:53 #236586

• ronjones
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4
When I installed my dyna coil, I drilled new holes(they end up being slots) 90* from the mount holes. This allowed me to use all the stock mounting hardware, from the original coil. I only had to slightly elongate one of the coil mounting holes, on the top frame brace. The plug wires end up down and forward. If you use this method, you will need to attach the plug wires before you mount the coil, it's a tight fit for the plug wire caps. Using the dyna mount holes forces you to bring the plug wires out one side. I guess you could mount it in another spot and avoid this problem...or maybe there are other solutions?
Performance wise, I have no negative things to say about it, seems to produce a good spark.
I understand the Accel coils are a direct fit, but have no experience w/them
It makes no difference which side of the coil inputs you attach the wires.
I have the stock IE and don't use any resistor (2.2ohm coil). This question has come up a couple of times and I believe that w/the right coil, you don't need the resistor. Meaning, I think Limey is correct? You might want to do a search.
'82 KZ750 CSR, M1 twin. Mac 2-1 exhaust, K&N pods, 17tooth drive sprocket, Mikuni BS-34 carbs w/#47.5 pilot jet and #125 main jet, Canadian XS650 needlejetjet needle, Wired George's coil mod.
Barrak, Nancy and Harry says: Welcome to the United Soviet States of America, Comrades

Need some info on Dyna coil install 10 Sep 2008 16:15 #236605

• MFolks
  • User
  • Thank you received: 540
When sitting on the bike, the left coil sparkplug wires go to either #1 or #4 and the right coil sparkplug wires go to either #2 or #3 (depends on how you want to route the ignition leads).

These engines have what is called a wasted spark, that is a spark is produced on the exhaust stroke.

Make sure the primary(smaller wires) are connected correctly or funny things happen when you start up!
1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

Need some info on Dyna coil install 11 Sep 2008 05:56 #236674

• ronjones
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4
MFolks wrote:

When sitting on the bike, the left coil sparkplug wires go to either #1 or #4 and the right coil sparkplug wires go to either #2 or #3 (depends on how you want to route the ignition leads).

I believe ghunt has a twin.

MFolks wrote:

These engines have what is called a wasted spark, that is a spark is produced on the exhaust stroke.

yep, even the twins use the "wasted spark"

MFolks wrote:

Make sure the primary(smaller wires) are connected correctly or funny things happen when you start up!

Like I said above, the input wires, for the dyna coil, can be attached either way as there is no way to differentiate between the screws on the dynacoil.
'82 KZ750 CSR, M1 twin. Mac 2-1 exhaust, K&N pods, 17tooth drive sprocket, Mikuni BS-34 carbs w/#47.5 pilot jet and #125 main jet, Canadian XS650 needlejetjet needle, Wired George's coil mod.
Barrak, Nancy and Harry says: Welcome to the United Soviet States of America, Comrades

Need some info on Dyna coil install 11 Sep 2008 06:12 #236676

• ghunt81
  • User
I got it installed last night...thanks everyone :)

I installed it just like the stocker, fits great...the terminals come out on the right side of the engine, through the gap on the top engine mount plate thing. I did have to loosen the coil bolts to slip on the terminal boots, though...it's REALLY close to the frame there.

Otherwise went in great and looks nice too!

Oh yeah, and after installation, I put the gas tank on and the bike fired up on the first try (after sitting for more than 2 weeks)...seems to be working way better than the old coil was, that's for sure.

Last edit: by ghunt81.
  • Page: