Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Another alternator problem.. 05 Sep 2008 07:20 #235621

• coppertales
  • coppertales's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I also have an alternator with low output. I replaced the rec/reg thinking that was the problem. All electrical contacts were cleaned and the battery fully charged. I know it is a good battery because I took it out of my other bike which is my daily rider seeing the red bike is down. Pulling the battery box, with all the electrical connectors, is an adventure if you have not done it before. It had been a long time for me. With the installation complete, I fired the bike up and after warming up, only 12.4 vdc was measured across the battery terminals, no matter what the rpm. I ohm checked the stator, again, and the three windings are not shorted to each other or the case. I then did a voltage output check and all three windings are only putting out 12.2 vac, no matter what the rpm. The manual says the rotor may have lost it magnetism, or the stator is bad. Luckily, I have another rotor. I sure don't want to pull on off one of my good bikes just for troubleshooting. I will inspect the stator when I have the cover off too......chris3
1982 KZ1100 A2
1982 1100 SPECTRE
1982 1100 SPECTRE

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Another alternator problem.. 05 Sep 2008 19:31 #235734

• MFolks
  • User
  • Thank you received: 540
With the stator disconnected from the regulator/rectifier and the engine running at 3-4K you might have 70 Volts Alternating Current(A.C.) Have you done this check with the alternator out of the circuit? This will determine if the alternator is putting out what it should.
1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

Another alternator problem.. 08 Sep 2008 07:37 #236126

• coppertales
  • coppertales's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Yeah, I did the ac voltage check and no joy, even with the replaced rotor. Looks like the stator is bad. Bummer. I guess I will pull the stator off my other bike, which now had an ignition failure. I really did not want to do that because it took me forever to get the oil leak on that bike stopped. Oh well.....chris3
1982 KZ1100 A2
1982 1100 SPECTRE
1982 1100 SPECTRE

• Page: