Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

1980 z1-g classic miss & wire question 04 Sep 2008 06:45 #235433

• gnfreak
  • gnfreak's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
before i start blaming the fuel injection system, i want to cover the basics. background- seemed to run pretty good over the weekend (kinda lousy gas mileage though), drove to work tuesday nite, when i started it Wed. morning to go home had a noticable miss like running on 3 cylinders. got it home (3 miles) and started digging in. number 2 spark plug resistor cap(NGK) fell of the wire. cut back alittle of the wire and reinstalled. checked plugs and #2 is black compared to the others. cleaned it up and test drove. now getting a lot of popping below 2500 rpms and at idle. i want to change plugs and wires but am unsure if i need to keep the NGK resistor caps. Z1Enterprises sells the red wires i want but they end in just a regular boot. and do i need suppression wires because of the FI computer? after some rest today i plan on switching #2 and #3 wires from the coils and see if the black plug follows the wire. also want to do a compressin check while the plugs are out. searching here on KZR looks like a regular carb cleaning would be in order but i have the fuel injection to mess with. sorry for the length of this post
Normal, IL
1980 KZ1000-G1 Classic - Sold

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1980 z1-g classic miss & wire question 04 Sep 2008 14:37 #235505

• MFolks
  • User
  • Thank you received: 540
It might be time to replace the original coils as they break down with heat and age. www.z1enterprises.com sells the Dyna coils cheaper than the Dyna website does at www.dynaonline.com

Another suggestion would be to do the "Wired George" relay modification bypassing the current dropping wire harness you have probably got. His website is www.wgcarbs.com and instructions and parts are listed.

There are some recent posts about how much better the bikes run after doing this modification.
1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

1980 z1-g classic miss & wire question 05 Sep 2008 10:28 #235646

• coppertales
  • User
I have been running two sets of the Z1 red wires with the regular caps and they perform just fine. I don't know about any interference though....chris3
1982 KZ1100 A2
1982 1100 SPECTRE
1982 1100 SPECTRE

1980 z1-g classic miss & wire question 05 Sep 2008 16:13 #235690

• gnfreak
  • gnfreak's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
coppertales wrote:

I have been running two sets of the Z1 red wires with the regular caps and they perform just fine. I don't know about any interference though....chris3

talked to someone at z1 today and he said to use the suppression wires w/o resistor caps because of the computer. ordered up a set today and bought a new set of plugs. will mess with it when wires come in. thanks for the replys.
Normal, IL
1980 KZ1000-G1 Classic - Sold

• Page: