• Page:

TOPIC:

Timing Light Hook -up 19 Aug 2008 20:01 #233012

• kz750g
  • kz750g's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Friends,

Thanks for the responses. Soon after I wrote my message, I was able to hook up the timing light (inductive). I used the external battery and it worked. I also used my techometer to measure the dwell. My meter does not have provision for two cylinders. I used the 4 cylinder setting and got 23 degrees which is 92 degrees for two cylinder and seems to be within the spec,

On the breaker plate I saw "F" marl as well as two other vrticle lines . I do not know what they are for. But I set it on "F". It starts OK. It seems it is missing.

I could not fine any history from the seller and plan to remove the tank and clean it and also the carburetors.

Thanks again for being so resoponsive.

KZ750g

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Timing Light Hook -up 19 Aug 2008 21:00 #233026

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 2098
kz750g wrote:

... saw "F" marl as well as two other vrticle lines . I do not know what they are for. But I set it on "F"....

If similar to the markings on four cylinder advancer units, the double lines are "full advance" position at higher rpm.

Good Luck! :)
1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:

Last edit: by Patton.

Timing Light Hook -up 20 Aug 2008 15:11 #233148

• shanecrow99
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
To add a little to what Patton said. If you shine your light on the points plate while the motor you should be right on the "F" mark with the single line. If you keep shining that light and rev your motor up to 3500rpm's then you should see your timing marks "advance" to the "||" mark. If you hit those double marks when revving your engine (and it does not go past those marks) then you have proven two things.

1. Your timing is correct.
2. Your advancer is working properly.

• Page: