Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Timing Light Hook -up 19 Aug 2008 09:15 #232890

• kz750g
  • kz750g's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I connected the timing light on my 1980 KZ750g the way I do on the cars. Used bike battery to connect both leads and tried one of the spark plug ( I do not know which one is the right one!) but nothiong happened. I also connected my jumper battery but no change. Is there something that I am missing? Please advise me. I feel stuck. Without the light connection, I can not check the timing.

KZ750g

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Timing Light Hook -up 19 Aug 2008 10:59 #232908

• MFolks
  • User
  • Thank you received: 540
It depends on the type of timing light. If self powered, one spark plug wire is removed from the plug, the timing light high tension(spark Plug) lead is put between the plug with a special clip like a large battery clip. The other lead of the timing light is connected to the positive battery lead, so when the plug fires the light flashes.

The other type is an inductive timing light that might require plugging in to a electrical outlet for power, but will still need the trigger voltage from the sparkplug to fire and flash the light. It might just clip on to the sparkplug wire with no need to disconnect the wire from the plug.

it's been a few years for me using a timing light as my engines are set and not requiring adjustment except for valve clearances.
1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

Timing Light Hook -up 19 Aug 2008 11:13 #232910

• coppertales
  • User
My timing light has two connectors to hook up to the battery and a clamp to clamp onto the number one spark plug wire, the left most cylinder....chris3
1982 KZ1100 A2
1982 1100 SPECTRE
1982 1100 SPECTRE

Timing Light Hook -up 19 Aug 2008 11:32 #232918

• Skyman
  • User
  • 1978 KZ1000-B2 LTD 1982 KZ1000-M2 CSR
  • Thank you received: 3
If I remember right, mine has a trigger that must be pulled for the strobe to fire. Are you pulling the trigger?
West Linn, OR

Timing Light Hook -up 19 Aug 2008 13:02 #232938

• shanecrow99
  • User
If it is inductive then your going to have 3 wires to hook up. Connect the red clamp to the positive post of your battery. The black clamp gets connected to your negative post of your battery. The inductive pickup clamp gets clamped around the thinnest part of a spark plug wire. If you connect it to the spark plug wire boot then your timing light will not work. Once everything is hooked up and your bike is running - just pull the trigger and you should see a pulse. If you do not see a pulse then recheck all three of your connections and try it again. Move the inductive clamp to another spark plug wire if necessary. Hope that helps.

• Page: