Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Neutral Light Issues 14 Aug 2008 18:53 #232063

• clutch
  • clutch's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • I wish I had a tad more patience to do it better!
  • Thank you received: 12
Hey all,

This isn't really that big of a deal, just an annoyance. My Neutral light has been staying on for a short period of time (maybe a couple miles) after a cold start. I'm thinking something may possibly be loose or a crossed wire. Anyone have any ideas on this one?

Thanks,

Clutch :)
Southern Maryland, USA

1980 KZ250 LTD (traded, but still missed)
1982 KZ750 E3 (Cafe Project) (Dyna-S, Dyna Coils, V&H 4-1, K&N Pods, 6 Sigma Jet Kit, Acewell Computer, Woodcraft Clip-ons, Custom Rewire)
1966 A1 Samurai (Restoration Project)

Wish List:
KZ1000 P (For a "touring" bike)
Z1 (need I...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Neutral Light Issues 14 Aug 2008 19:23 #232071

• pstrbrc
  • User
  • '81 GPz 1100 project
  • Thank you received: 9
Helps if'n you told us about your bike in your sig. If it's like my GPz11, I kind of remember the neutral switch being under the left side transmission cover, and it's a plunger switch that's depressed (I think!) when the bike's in neutral. So it could be that your switch plunger is gunked. (That's a technical term.:laugh: )
Pull your left side transmission cover, screw out the switch, clean it with brake cleaner, put it back in, and you should be good to go. Unless, of course, it's not that. :huh:
Just remember, you get what you pay for here.
:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

edit: Oops. My bad. I see your bike.
\'81 GPz 1100 project
Elkhart, Kansas USA
\"Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him.\" Groucho Marx

Last edit: by pstrbrc.

Neutral Light Issues 14 Aug 2008 20:23 #232082

• clutch
  • User
After looking at the book, it looks to be in the same place. I will have a look there tomorrow then. Thanks for the advice.

~Clutch

ps: yeah, I didn't make the bike model real obvious for ya ;)
Southern Maryland, USA

1982 KZ750 E3 (Cafe Project) (Dyna-S, Dyna Coils, V&H 4-1, K&N Pods, 6 Sigma Jet Kit, Acewell Computer, Woodcraft Clip-ons, Custom Rewire)

Wish List:
Z1 (need I...

Neutral Light Issues 15 Aug 2008 07:02 #232152

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
Switch? I don't think there is a switch. What you have is a hot wire going to the green idiot light. The circuit for the idiot light closes when the LONG PIN on the shift drum which has a corresponding dimple on its cover touches the contact for the GROUND wire going to the idiot light which is mounted in the inner engine cover. As the pins rotate on the drum, only the one pin is longer so if the light is staying on, either the cover is moving a bit and you should check to see if the slotted head screw that holds the cover on the shift drum is moving or there is a bare spot on the wire from the contact going up to the idiot light. The slotted screw should be Lotite'd or should have a fluted washer to keep it from moving.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

Neutral Light Issues 15 Aug 2008 16:37 #232240

• clutch
  • User
Are you calling me an idiot? LOL! I'm kidding, I know you're not (are you? LOL!). I call it a switch because I am used to talking about neutral safety switches. Anywho, I will definitely check that also since I haven't had a chance to take a look at it yet.

Thanks for the feedback,

Clutch

ps: Don't mind me, I'm a bit of a smartass ;)
Southern Maryland, USA

Wish List:
Z1 (need I...

• Page: