Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Poor charging 78 KZ1000 LTD 14 Aug 2008 12:36 #232018

• vendo81
  • vendo81's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
First, to start,I really enjoy this site and would like to say thanks to everyone for all the valuable info!
I have read most all of the electrical issuesthat could relate to my problem.
I'm hoping someone here can help.

I've owned this bike 25 years and don't ever plan on selling it. Since day one, I don't think it's ever been charging fully. Just enough to get by. Blinkers have always blinked slow.
Now, it seems that the charging issue is getting worse. It won't turn the starter anymore but stays charged enough to keep running.

With the ressults below, I assumed it was a regulator issue. I installed a new regulator/rectifier combo from Z1 Enterprises with thes same results.

I've tried disconnecting misc lights while idling to minimize faulty wiring possibilities.
All my wiring seems fine and everything works as it should. I redid all grounds and the + soloniod connections.

The bike also seems to break down sometimes around 3k rpms. I think this could be a carb issue, but I'm not ruling out electrical.

Across battery at idle = + 11.8VDC
at 4000rpm = + 12.2 VDC

Stator unplugged not running = 1.2 ohms between any of 3 leads
@ idle = 21 VAC between any of 3 leads
@ 4k rpm = 66VAC " "

Is there a way to minimize all the electrical connections - say- just run power to the coils and dyna ignition and leave the stator/ regulator and rectifier circuitry connected and disconnect everything else then check for charging?

Could my stator be breaking down under load? even though all 3 leads read the same?

I've dumped a ton of $$ into this bike already and really don't want to buy another stator if I don't need to.

Please help! I'd rather be riding.
Thanks for listening !
1978 KZ1000 LTD
Wiesco 1075 kit
Dyna S
Accel coils/wires

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Poor charging 78 KZ1000 LTD 15 Aug 2008 07:30 #232159

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
OK... Welcome to the site. Seems like you know what you are doing pretty much and have done things by the manual. The first step, like always is to get your battery LOAD TESTED or use a hydrometer to determine if any cells are bad or marginal. A hydrometer looks like an eyedropper with colored balls in the clear part. You put a small hose on the snout of the hydrometer and pull in a bit of fluid from each cell in turn. When you draw in the fluid, if any of the balls don't float, the cell is marginal; that is, partly sulfated and isn't capable of holding a full charge. If none of the balls float, the cell is dead. If you find this condition with the battery, buy a new battery and charge on a low-amp trickle charger for 12 hours... don't charge with a car charger! OK battery is good...

You have checked stator voltages and you are getting plenty of AC. With a new reg/rec combo, you should be in good shape but are not. This means that either the reg/rec isn't getting output feedback it needs, the reg/rec is bad or the connections to the reg/rec are bad.

On the 78, I think there is a PATCH PANEL arrangement. Disconnect the big plugs... the blue is one of the critical plugs. You can check continuity of the pins. For instance, the blue female part connects to the green. Check to see if you can find all three legs of the AC wires as they go to the green plug on its female side. Clean all these connectors. Use spray contact cleaner which you can find at an autoparts or computer store and dab dielectric grease on the connectors. The reg/rec needs to plug into the green wiring in some fashion... let's look at the reg/rec.

The reg/rec relies on a DC voltage sense to set the output voltage that goes to the battery and main fuse. It gets that sense off the very wire the power goes out on for most of the newer reg/rec units. It is critical that the WHITE output wire have a good connection with the tee it plugs into and the legs of the tee are solidly connected. I would consider using NEW wire and connectors if you have an ongoing issue with charging. Probably will be white and white/red 12 ga wire on your bike. These will be the wires that go from the reg/rec to the tee connector to the battery via the solenoid lug and to the main fuse box. Try cleaning them FIRST and dabbing with dielectric grease but if that doesn't work, replace this wiring. If your bike has had issues on a continuing basis, there could be a basic problem with this wiring. On older regulator type bikes, there was a connection from the regulator to the switched voltage source from the wiring harness via a brown wire. If your new reg/rec has a BROWN wire, it uses wiring harness voltage to tell it how to regulate voltage. If this is the case, I would remove the brown wire connection and take the brown wire from the reg/rec and connect to the RED wire back towards your tail piece that is switched DC voltage that runs your tail light running light. The tail light running light is the ONLY thing on this circuit as you MAY have a bad connection in the much more complicated brown switched subcircuit.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

Poor charging 78 KZ1000 LTD 15 Aug 2008 08:19 #232166

• coppertales
  • User
This sounds like the problem I am having. However, I need to do more troubleshooting to be sure. Just too hot here to do this after work...chris3
1982 KZ1100 A2
1982 1100 SPECTRE
1982 1100 SPECTRE

Poor charging 78 KZ1000 LTD 15 Aug 2008 12:06 #232200

• vendo81
  • vendo81's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
Thanks for getting back to me. I did purchase a new battery from Wal Mart at the beginning of the season.
I added the electrolyte?? to it and just installed it without charging. Hope this didn't ruin it. Usually i've had no issues doing this way but I guess I should have out it on a slow charger first.
I ran the bike for an hour and it still didn't charge enough to turn it over. I put it on the battery charger overnight and it seemed to charge up ok. Ran good for a while and the electric start worked ok.
Now it's back to being to low to turn the starter. I put it on the charger overnight and it turned over no problem.
So - my next step is to pick up a hydrometer on the way home from work and check the battery. I'll probably look for some new tee connectors at the same time.
There is a brown and yellow wire??? that ends up not going anywhere after the new reg/rectifier hookup. It used to plug into the old regulator. I think it traces back to ground. I'll try to post a pic or two later.
1978 KZ1000 LTD
Wiesco 1075 kit
Dyna S
Accel coils/wires

• Page: