Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Ignition Electrical prob. 08 Aug 2008 12:18 #230873

• Whheezzzz
  • Whheezzzz's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Thanks for everything guys. I have one more prob i have a 1977 KZ750B Twin and i have taken the old coil out and was cleaning up the wire harness and when i went to put the batt terminals back on the first couple inches of the positive batt wire started smokeing and getting hot. I unhooked real quickly and i traced the short the the yellow/black striped wire that is connected to the left front turn signal outside houseing. Not the two wires going into the acualy turn signal tube. It melted it pretty good about a couple feet or so.No other wires were burned at all,and i checked all over the bike. So i cleaned it up and i put the batt terminals back on and all is well,but my problem is that the only thing that comes on is the oil light. I try to turn the ignition switch to the on position and the oil light dims alittle but nothing else comes on, no head light or turn signals.
My question is do i have to have the coil hooked up and the wires hooke to the coil for the whole tree to light up?? or is my ignition swithc bad?? sorry for long post but its gettin me a little worried/angry thanks guys
1977 KZ750B Twin

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Ignition Electrical prob. 11 Aug 2008 19:33 #231456

• steve3408
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Sounds like you still have wires melted into other wires somewhere,you might want to go back thru there and separate and electrical tape the wires individually.Check for blown fuses,and see if they blow out again as soon as you replace 'em.If so theres still a short some where in the wire loom.
1980 KZ1000 A4(bought new),1979 KZ1000 MKII(bought new),1978 KZ1000 A (sold)1979 KZ1000 B LTD (sold)1976 KZ900 LTD (sold)1978 KZ750 twin (sold)

Ignition Electrical prob. 11 Aug 2008 20:23 #231466

• steell
  • User
  • Thank you received: 207
That yellow/black wire is a ground wire, so in order to melt it had to come in contact with a 12V wire somewhere.

You really need to find out how power got to that wire, and when you do you will probably find the cause of your problem.
KD9JUR

Ignition Electrical prob. 11 Aug 2008 22:56 #231497

• bountyhunter
  • User
  • Thank you received: 337
Whheezzzz wrote:

Thanks for everything guys. I have one more prob i have a 1977 KZ750B Twin and i have taken the old coil out and was cleaning up the wire harness and when i went to put the batt terminals back on the first couple inches of the positive batt wire started smokeing and getting hot. I unhooked real quickly and i traced the short the the yellow/black striped wire that is connected to the left front turn signal outside houseing. Not the two wires going into the acualy turn signal tube. It melted it pretty good about a couple feet or so.No other wires were burned at all,and i checked all over the bike. So i cleaned it up and i put the batt terminals back on and all is well,but my problem is that the only thing that comes on is the oil light. I try to turn the ignition switch to the on position and the oil light dims alittle but nothing else comes on, no head light or turn signals.
My question is do i have to have the coil hooked up and the wires hooke to the coil for the whole tree to light up?? or is my ignition swithc bad?? sorry for long post but its gettin me a little worried/angry thanks guys

Sounds like the shaort may still be there.

You should not melt wires. The coil circuits should be powered up through a main input fuse like 20A or so. That fuse should blow first.
1979 KZ-750 Twin

Last edit: by bountyhunter.
  • Page: