Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

1980 Z1 Classic EFI Accel coils problem 05 Aug 2008 22:51 #230422

• baja454
  • baja454's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I have a Z1 Classic that I bought 2 years ago to fix up but like my other projects with good intentions... not much has happened with it. It had the Accel coils on it when I got it and I would just like to make sure that they are wired correctly and that the firing order is correct. I got the bike running last summer but it didn't run very good now this year it doesn't want to start and the spark is weak, but what is really odd is when I took out 3 plugs and checking for spark the bike started and ran on 1 plug. It wouldn't take throttle but it started a couple times with just 1 plug in the hole. Without the wiring diagram I don't know what the proper wiring cnfig should be. Can anyone help?
Thanks
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1980 Z1 Classic EFI Accel coils problem 06 Aug 2008 01:15 #230431

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 2098
baja454 wrote:

... would just like to make sure that they are wired correctly....

Plugwire routing looks correct, with left coil firing outside plugs and right coil firing inside plugs. :)
1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

1980 Z1 Classic EFI Accel coils problem 06 Aug 2008 06:16 #230459

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
Your bike has an IC Igniter box somwhere in the area of the battery. This box attaches to the the coils and tells them when to fire. A BLACK wire comes off the IC Igniter and should connect to the coil on the right as you sit on the bike. This is the 1 & 4 coil and the 1 & 4 plug wires should be connected respectively. A GREEN wire also comes off the the IC Igniter and connects to the left coil which is now the 2 & 3 coil and the 2 & 3 plug wires should go to the 2 & 3 plugs. There will also be another small lead which is probably pink or red connected to the other small lug on the Accel coils and this is DC switched power.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

• Page: