Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

power to ignition switch? 02 Jul 2008 13:04 #223530

• drfantastik
  • drfantastik's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Im lost here, but Im sure Im just a bonehead. I was trying to get my '77 kz650c started earlier today to no avail, eventhough it ran like a champ last night before i parked it. So after draining the battery, i put on a charger and let it sit for a while. Came back later to try again, still no go so i left for a while. Later came back to try again but this time when i put the key in and turned to ignition there was no oil light like usual, headlight wont come on, no turn signals and starter is silent. Obviously something electrical went sour here but i have no idea what. Never had any electrical problems before. I checked and replaced the 2 10a and 1 20a fuses, didn't help. What else should I check between the battery and ignition switch that could just completely kill power?:unsure:
\'77 KZ650C
Harrisburg, PA

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

power to ignition switch? 02 Jul 2008 13:48 #223541

• RonKZ650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 237
12v from the battery goes through the 20A fuse to the ignition switch where it splits off to various lights ect, so if you have absolutely no power including lights the options are few. You can get a meter hook one end to ground on the engine ect, then probe for 12v at + on the battery, then both ends of the 20A fuse then up to the switch. Could be the old burnt connection at the switch deal that melts solder and wires fall off. Other options are bad connector towards the switch, bad battery cables, battery, fuse clips at the 20A fuse.
321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page: