Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Here are the symptoms 18 Jun 2008 18:56 #220785

• John Simons
  • John Simons's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I've finally got my project on the road. Had to rebuild carbs, verified they were clean and adjusted correctly. Rebuilt the ignition system, Dyna coils, new plug wires and caps. New plugs, and battery. Also lubricated the advance and loosened it up. I rode the bike for two months without issue and I'm now having issues. The dyna coils I put on the bike were used but worked for the past two months. When purchased, both showed 3.5 ohms. The left coil firing 1,4 went bad. Replaced it with brand new. Now the bike runs, but when I'm riding it, it feels like the bike is either missing or or intermittently loosing horse power causing the bike to somewhat jerk in travel, but more like loss of horse power. This happens as I go through gears 1,2,3. I haven't been able to go any faster due to neighborhood. I don't know where to start, and is this an electrical problem or carburator problem. If anybody can help, pleas do.
It also seems like it happens at higher rpm's for each gear.
John
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Here are the symptoms 18 Jun 2008 19:21 #220791

• KZQ
  • Administrator
  • Walking Behind the Corn May Not Be All That!
  • Thank you received: 1285
Hi John,
"Had to rebuild carbs, verified they were clean and adjusted correctly"

How do you know they're adjusted correctly?
Have you read the Spark Plugs? What sort of story do they tell?

KZCSI
www.KZ1300.com
Riders:
1968 BSA 441 Shooting Star, 1970 BSA 650 Lightning, 1974 W3, 1976 KZ900, 1979 KZ750 Twin, 1979 KZ750 Twin Trike, 1981 KZ1300, 1982 KZ1100 Spectre, 2000 Valkyrie, 2009 Yamaha Roadliner S. 1983 GL 1100
Projects:
1985 ZN1300

Here are the symptoms 18 Jun 2008 20:38 #220810

• Bullitt03737
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Ill tell you what. Check the simple ovbvious things. I was takin off to make a run to the libary. I hear a small pop, and I have no power. I thought my battery shorted, or I popped a fuse. No. My NEGATIVE terminal had come loose. Go figure. Its worth the time time to look over the small stuff before you go nuts over it!
1980 CSR 1000. New dyna Coils, Vacumn Less Petcock, Various Handle bars depending on the day, (Drag and Clubman.)

Here are the symptoms 18 Jun 2008 23:41 #220843

• bountyhunter
  • User
  • Thank you received: 337
John Simons wrote:

I've finally got my project on the road. Had to rebuild carbs, verified they were clean and adjusted correctly. Rebuilt the ignition system, Dyna coils, new plug wires and caps. New plugs, and battery. Also lubricated the advance and loosened it up. I rode the bike for two months without issue and I'm now having issues. The dyna coils I put on the bike were used but worked for the past two months. When purchased, both showed 3.5 ohms. The left coil firing 1,4 went bad. Replaced it with brand new. Now the bike runs, but when I'm riding it, it feels like the bike is either missing or or intermittently loosing horse power causing the bike to somewhat jerk in travel, but more like loss of horse power. This happens as I go through gears 1,2,3. I haven't been able to go any faster due to neighborhood. I don't know where to start, and is this an electrical problem or carburator problem. If anybody can help, pleas do.
It also seems like it happens at higher rpm's for each gear.
John

hard to know, that could be ignition or it could be crud in a main jet. One thing I thought of: if the coil failed, it could very easily have either blown up or damaged the "driver" circuits in the electronic control module which fires the coil. Don't know for sure, but it sure is possible.
1979 KZ-750 Twin

Last edit: by bountyhunter.
  • Page: