Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

non stock parts. 14 Jun 2008 14:49 #220005

• DaytonaMC
  • DaytonaMC's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • You keep for your collection, I know you like it.
  • Thank you received: 0
I have a 1977 Kz1000. I have had charging system problems since I got it. I have noticed that the components for the charging system may not be stock. I have a regulator/rectifier and, a stator that I believe are form a later model. I have 3 yellow wires coming from both the regulator/rectifier and, the stator. Form what the manual tells me I am supposed to have blue and, pink wires as well as some others. Is it possible that the previous owner upgraded the charging system from a later year? also How much AC output should I get from the stator @ 4000 RPM?
I must remove my skin.....

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

non stock parts. 15 Jun 2008 12:35 #220176

• Samwell
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
DaytonaMC wrote:

I have a 1977 Kz1000. I have had charging system problems since I got it. I have noticed that the components for the charging system may not be stock. I have a regulator/rectifier and, a stator that I believe are form a later model. I have 3 yellow wires coming from both the regulator/rectifier and, the stator. Form what the manual tells me I am supposed to have blue and, pink wires as well as some others. Is it possible that the previous owner upgraded the charging system from a later year? also How much AC output should I get from the stator @ 4000 RPM?

My 1978 kz1000 has the blue,pink and yellow wires. Do you have a separate regulator and rectifier? If it's stock then you should. The clymer manual doesn't spec VAC for our stator, it does list ~50 VAC for the '79 model.

Pop off your stator cover and have a look at whats in there. (don't forget to drain the oil first!) Compare what you see in there to pictures from Kawasaki.com.

You may have an aftermarket stator, it'll probably be close to stock output.

let us know what you find.

S
--
Current Rides: 2013 BMW R1200GSW, 1972 BMW R75/5
Current Project: 1978 KZ1000A2: Supercrank'd by Falicon, APE studs and nuts, Dyna Green coils, powder coated frame and fenders, Stainless brake lines, dual front discs, pods, Kerker Exhaust, 1075cc with JE pistons

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page: