Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

starter motors sources and turning the wrong way mystery ? 10 Jun 2008 21:15 #219259

• clb3carl
  • clb3carl's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
anyone have a source for starter motors? (81' 550 ltd) and...has anyone ever heard of a motor spinning/turning the wrong way?.....i bought a replacement motor last year from EMS/w.va and my kz dealer/mechanic is telling me it is turning the wromg way....i have been dealing with this problem for a year now on this bike....including replacing the starter clutch....
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

starter motors sources and turning the wrong way mystery ? 10 Jun 2008 21:32 #219261

• bountyhunter
  • User
  • Thank you received: 337
It's a DC motor so reversing the polarity of the wires will make it run the other direction. They have a gear reduction drive and getting the gears turned around could also make it run the wrong way.
1979 KZ-750 Twin

starter motors sources and turning the wrong way mystery ? 10 Jun 2008 21:47 #219266

• clb3carl
  • User
nothing has been changed on the bike, the starter wires are ground and hot,...cannot be reversed....gears are fine...tnks....

starter motors sources and turning the wrong way mystery ? 10 Jun 2008 22:11 #219273

• PFC FNG
  • User
  • I've got the sickness!!!
Something mis-wired on the starter internally?
I know it would not be any fun if it was easy, but does it have to be this much fun?
84 ZX750 GPZ (Waiting for paint)
Eastpoint, Mi

starter motors sources and turning the wrong way mystery ? 10 Jun 2008 22:38 #219276

• clb3carl
  • User
no, it spins...just the wrong way...this is crazy...lol

starter motors sources and turning the wrong way mystery ? 10 Jun 2008 23:21 #219282

• PFC FNG
  • User
  • I've got the sickness!!!
Then I recommend my off road buddies method. Drop kick it and see if that fixes your problem.
I know it would not be any fun if it was easy, but does it have to be this much fun?
84 ZX750 GPZ (Waiting for paint)
Eastpoint, Mi

starter motors sources and turning the wrong way mystery ? 11 Jun 2008 13:11 #219390

• bountyhunter
  • User
  • Thank you received: 337
clb3carl wrote:

no, it spins...just the wrong way...this is crazy...lol

As the man said, it must be mis wired internally. The only way to get a DC motor to run backwards is to reverse the + and - leads either on the outside or the inside.
1979 KZ-750 Twin

• Page: